Freshman Deng Adel scored 35 points and three others scored in double figures to lead the Red team to a 97-81 win over the White team in Louisville's final intra-squad scrimmage of the preseason schedule. Graduate transfer Damion Lee paced the White team with 33 points and 13 rebounds.
- Junior center Mangok Mathiang played with the reserves team and is expected to come off the bench this season. The reasoning behind the decision to not start Mathiang, who Pitino says "is our best frontcourt player," is in an attempt to have him available late in games. Mathiang totaled 15 points, nine rebounds, four steals and three blocks in the win.
"I want him to come off the bench because we are going to need him to finish the game," said Pitino. "He's by far our best frontcourt player and I don't want him getting into foul trouble. We will have a tough time winning if he's not on the court offensively and defensively at the end of the game."
- The teams combined to hit 75 percent (37 of 50) from the free throw line. Deng Adel led all, connecting on 9 of 10. Damion Lee was 8 of 10 and David Levitch hit 7 of 10. Donovan Mitchell hit all four of his attempts.
- The teams combinded to connect for 47 percent from beyond the three-point arc. Lee hit 5 of 10 and Trey Lewis was 4 of 5 for the White squad. Levitch led the Red team on 4 of 6 from three.
- Pitino "very impressed" by the performance of Lee.
"I just told him in the locker room, it's not the 33 points, it's the 13 rebounds and the five steals."
- The good and bad of it...
"One team did not turn the ball over as much, and the other team turned it over, but they gave up 97 points in the game. You can look at it two ways – a real good offense, or, defense is not that good. So, we are going to work on that obviously, and we are going to watch the film and decide on that."
Visit the link below for more game notes in the Cardinal Authority photo gallery.