Top Ohio safety checks out Cards
Cincinnati LaSalle safety Jarell White is a three-star prospect who made a trip to Louisville recently for Junior Day and checked out the Cardinals' program. He also is a top-notch running back for LaSalle.
The 5-foot-10, 195-pound White already holds offers from Indiana, Iowa, Iowa State, Illinois, Toldeo, Miami of Ohio and Ohio U., and is being checked out by several others, including Ohio State.
White said he "really enjoyed" his trip to Louisville and is planning to make a return.
"I thought it was a great school," White said. "I loved the fact they are trying to build something and knowing I could be apart of it got my attention. I talked with coach (Kolby) Smith a lot about building our relationship and I know they look forward to seeing me play for them in the future."
In-state athlete on U of L's radar
The U of L staff has eyes on a number of top in-state prospects in the Class of 2017, including Paintsville's Kent Phelps.
The 6-foot, 185-pound Phelps rushed 178 times for 1,579 yards and 19 touchdowns as a junior and also had three return TDs, two receiving TDs and one passing touchdown for undefeated Paintsville.
Phelps, who will be a top candidate for Mr. Football next season, was at U of L recently for a Junior Day. He also attended Indiana and is scheduled to make a trip soon to West Virginia.
"It was an overall great day," Phelps said of the U of L visit. "I really liked their weight program and how they put academics first."
Ohio corner will camp at Louisville
Pickerington, Ohio, Central High School defensive back Jalen Mitchell had a solid sophomore season and is starting to garner some interest from colleges, including the U of L staff.
The 5-foot-11, 175-pound Mitchell made a trip to U of L for a recent junior day and will return for camp.
"I had a great time at Junior Day and loved everything about Louisville," Mitchell said. "From the coaches, to the facilities, to the fans everything was top notch. The coaches were explaining the importance of academics and how to become a well rounded person as well as a football player."
Mitchell said he was coming back for summer camp and noted he might return for a spring practice.
"They want me to come back up," Mitchell said. "I want to really show what I can do."
- The Cardinals have offered several younger players, including 2019 Saint Simons Island, Ga., Frederica Academy athlete Jashawn Sheffield. The 6-foot-2, 175-pound Sheffield also has offers from Florida State, Auburn, Georgia, West Virginia and Michigan among others.
- Navarre, Fla., junior offensive lineman Nick Brahms added an offer frok Louisville to his list of offers.
- Louisville is after some top defensive backs, including the No. 3 defensive back in the country Todd Harris. The 6-foot, 175-pound Harris is a standout at Plaquemine, La., Senior High School and is ranked as the No. 38 player overall nationally by Scout. The offer from U of L was the 14th for Harris, who also has offers from LSU, Miami, Tennessee, Ole Miss and Georgia.
- The Cardinals have also offered a linebacker from Louisiana - Josh Clarke. The 6-foot-3, 215-pound Clake is a three-star prospect with offers from Arizona State, Georgia, Oklahoma, Indiana and Nebraska among others.
- One of the top tight ends on the West Coast - Taariq Johnson of Buena Park, Calif., holds an offer from Louisville. The 6-foot-4, 210-pound Johnson is a four-star prospect and ranks as the No. 11 tight end in the country.
- Hayward, Calif., Stellar Prep outside linebacker Addison Gumbs now holds an offer from U of L. The 6-foot-4, 215-pound Gumbs is the No. 298 player in the Scout300 and ranks as the No. 22 linebacker in the country and No. 2 on the West Coast. Gumbs has a bunch of other offers, including Oklahoma, California, USC, Ole Miss, UCLA, Oregon, Tennessee, Arizona State, Washington, Hawaii and others.
- Three-star Oxford, Ala., lienbacker K.J. Britt added a Louisville offer to a list that already includes, Alabama, Auburn, Iowa, Virginia Tech, Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Memphis among others.
- Dickson, Tenn., County three-star wide receiver Caleb Rozar added an offer from Louisville.
- A top quarterback has drawn the attention of Bobby Petrino and Garrick McGee. Las Vegas Bishop Gorman signal caller Tate Martell - the No. 2 QB in the country and No. 13 player overall - landed an offer from the Cardinals' offensive gurus. The 5-foot-11, 210-pound Martell is currently committed to Texas A&M.
- Cartersville, Ga., three-star cornerback Trey Creamer has added a Louisville offer to a list that includes Wake Forest.
- North Carolina commitment Jake Lawler, a defensive end from Charlotte, N.C., South Mecklenberg High School, was offered by Louisville. The Cardinals were the 15th offer for the 4-star Lawler, who is ranked as the No. 281 player in the country.
- The offers in Louisiana continue to mount as the Cardinals extended one to four-star wide receiver Keldrick Carper of Plain Dealing, La. Carper is the No. 183 player in the country.
- The top cornerback in the state of Virginia - Jonathan Sutherland - added a Louisville offer.
- Georgia Military free safety Tra Barrett - who is originally from Valdosta, Ga. - now holds a Louisville offer.
- Four-star 2018 wide receiver - Eric Fuller of Paramount, Calif., said Louisville was his very first offer.
- Greensboro, N.C., Grimsley three-star safety Brelin Faison-Walden is a three-star prospect who added an offer from U of L to a list that already includes Alabama, North Carolina State, Georgia, Penn State and Florida State.