Clear skies and a bright sun raised the temperature quickly on Friday morning, the first Louisville practice that was open for fans to attend and watch.
The morning session, which began at 8:50 a.m., consisted of mostly newcomers and was also first day for the team to work with pads on, but without contact.
Here's a quick notebook from the morning practice:
- Following station drills, head coach Bobby Petrino had the practice rotate between skelly and special teams work. Freshman quarterback Jawon Pass and a talented crop of young receivers continue to highlight the first few days of practice. Seth Dawkins, Keion Wakefield and Desmond Fitzpatrick are all displaying the ability to make the tough catch and equally as important, a quick study of their responsibilities.
- Incoming running backs Malik Williams, a junior college transfer, and freshman Dae Williams both appear ready to compete and contribute this fall. Both are big, physical backs that are showing a nice burst at the line of scrimmage.
- Freshman defensive lineman Derek Dorsey has been solid through three days. The Louisville Manual product has shown quickness and appears ready to work with the veterans group.
- Special teams will remain a priority throughout camp. Attention was spent on punting and extra points this morning, with head coach Bobby Petrino instructing. Freshman punter Austin Johnson, an All-State performer at DeSales, displayed a strong leg. New kicker Austin Laszewski continues to get significant reps with the morning group and will compete for the position during camp.
- Freshman Robbie Bell continues to get reps at center.
- University of Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich was among the many that arrived early to watch the newcomers group practice.
- The day's seond practice session will begin at 3:50p.m. and is open to the public.
- Visit the Cardinal Authority Insiders Forum for continuing updates on the day's two practices. Click here to access.
- Check out the photo gallery in the player above for a look at the newcomers practice.