Houston knocked off Louisville 34-31 last season at Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium.
Now, the Cardinals will make the return trip and try to score a road victory over the Cougars on Thursday night.
Houston early in the season was expected to be the team that would perhaps burst into the College Football Playoff race out of a non-Power 5 league. But the Cougars lost to Navy and SMU to silence that hype.
Now, Houston is 8-2 and hosts the Cardinals on a prime time Thursday night game.
Cardinal Authority has you covered on all of the takes of the game. Here's a look at five players to watch when the Cougars meet the Cardinals:
Here are five players to watch:
1. Greg Ward Jr., Sr., Quarterback - One of the top dual-threat QBs in the country, Ward has been injured this season but is still a major threat at his position. He has 13 games in the last two seasons that he has passed and rushed for a touchdown - Lamar Jackson is second with 15.
2. Ed Oliver, Fr., Defensive tackle - A true freshman, Oliver has had one of the best years of any young player in the country. He’s second on his team and sixth nationally among defensive tackles with 55 total tackles. The 6-2, 290-pound Oliver has 3.5 sacks and is sixth nationally with 16.5 tackles for a loss.
3. Steven Taylor, Sr., Linebacker - The 6-1, 205-pound Taylor has 23 career sacks and 46.5 career tackles for a loss. He’s fifth on the team this season with 50 tackles, has an interception and a fumble recovery. He’s always around the ball.
4. Tyler McCloskey, Sr., Tight end - One of the best tight ends the U of L defense will face this season, the 6-foot-2, 245 pounder has played in 50 career games and has 26 career starts. He only has 14 catches for 136 yards but has four touchdown catches among those 14 catches this season.
5. Howard Wilson, Soph., Cornerback - A ballhawk in the secondary, the 6-foot-1, 185-pound Wilson leads the team with five interceptions and has eight pass breakups. Lamar Jackson will have to know where he’s at during the entire game.