Miller spurns Kentucky to walk-on at U of L

Middlesboro standout Stuart Miller, Kentucky's top three-point shooter and second leading scorer, turned down an opportunity to play for Kentucky,and announced he'll walk-on at the University of Louisville next year.

Middlesboro star Stuart Miller will attend the University of Louisville next year.

Miller, who scored 2519 career points, committed to the Cardinals Monday morning. The 6-0 guard turned down an opportunity to walk-on at Kentucky.

"Stuart has accepted Louisville's offer to be a preferred walk-on," Gary Miller informed InsideTheVille.com. "I appreciate the effort that Louisville, and especially Coach (Steve) Masiello, gave in pursuing Stuart. He felt like he was truly wanted and even needed."

Miller said a conversation with Masiello late last week help seal his son's decision to play for the Cardinals. After taking the weekend to finalize his decision, Miller told the U of L coaches they could count him in next season.

"We just really had a good visit to Louisville and they really treated us better than anybody else that recruited Stuart," Miller said. "Steve Masiello really pursue Stuart and made him feel needed even though he's just a walk-on."

As a senior, Miller led the state in three-pointers made (173), finished second in scoring (29.4), and made 85 percent from the free throw line, ranking among the top ten.

"Sunday confirmed to us that Louisville is where Stuart needed to be," said Miller. "We believe Stuart will earn a scholarship down the road. It's a win-win situation for Louisville. He'll be good for the school. He's excited and honored to play for Rick Pitino. How doyou beat playing for Rick Pitino if you're a shooter?"

Miller said his family will continue working on the finances of paying out of state tuition during Stuart's first year at U of L.

"We're working that out," he said. "I believe we'll get some financial aid.


Cardinal Authority Top Stories