Season Highlights: Tello Palacios
6'8 Juan Diego Palacios, who goes by "Tello" is a prime recruiting target of the University of Louisville and Coach Rick Pitino for the class of 2004. The junior forward from Our Savior New American in Centereach, New York, has drawn favorable comparisons to former Pitino player, Jamal Mashburn.
Palacios, originally from Colombia, has great size and versatility. He has great hands and excellent footwork for a big man and runs the floor nicely. He handles the ball well in the open court, is a good passer and can score in the paint and from behind the three point line.
But don't expect an early commitment from Palacios. "I've been getting 20 letters a day. That's for my senior year," Tello told Dave Telep of TheInsidersHoops.com
Besides Louisville, Palacios has high interest in Illinois, Indiana, Marquette, Tennessee and Ohio State among others. "If you are from [the United States] you know what schools are better. I'll have to take a few visits to find out," Palacios said.
Coach Pitino made a special trip to Deleware for the War on the Shore Tournament just after Thanksgiving to see Tello play, and took another look at the talented Colombian at the Prime Time Shootout in Trenton earlier this month. Palacios is certain to be a prime prospect in the upcoming months for the Cardinals and ITV will follow his progress for you.
Here's a look at the season highlights for Tello Palacios.
- Scored 15 points and grabbed 14 rebounds vs. Coastal Christian (VA) on February 21.
- Scored 16 points vs. Brookhaven (OH) at the Prime Time Shootout in Trenton February 7.
- Scored 32 points and pulled down 11 rebounds vs. Neptune (NJ) on February 1.
- Scored 24 points and pulled down 9 rebounds vs. St. Benedict (NJ) and UofL recruit J.R. Smith in the championship of the Flyin' to the Hoop Tournament in Dayton on January 20.
- Scored 18 points and nailed two three pointers vs. Archbishop Spaulding (MD) in the semifinals of the Flyin' to the Hoop on January 19.
- Scored 27 points and 12 rebounds vs. Lexington Catholic (KY) on January 18.
- Scored 25 points and pulled down 8 rebounds vs. Vanier on January 11.
- Scored 14 points and dished out 6 assists vs. Northern Secondary on January 10..
- Scored 18 points and pulled down 17 rebounds vs. Lutheran Christian (PA) in the championship of the Rim Rockers Classic on January 5.
- Scored 31 points, 10 rebounds and drained 3 three pointers vs. Baltimore Dunbar on January 2.
- Scored 19 points, 6 rebounds and hit two three pointer shots vs. Good Council (D.C.) on December 30.
- Scored 19 vs. Georgetown Prep at the Slam Dunk to the Beach on December 28.
- Scored 19 points and pulled down 11 rebounds vs. Life Center on December 8.
- Scored 21 points, 9 rebounds vs. Redemption Christian on December 7.
- MVP at the Flyin' to the Hoop event in Dayton. Palacios led OSNA to the national bracket championship, scoring 69 points, and pulling down 22 rebounds in three games.
- MVP of the Bull City Classic in Durham. Scored 27 points, and 9 rebounds to lead Our Savior to the tournament championship.