#12/9 LSU vs. #14/12 Florida
Oct. 9, 2010 – Ben Hill Griffin Stadium (Gainesville, Fla.)
LSU Postgame Notes
1. LSU’s game captains were 30 Josh Jasper, 7 Patrick Peterson, 11 Kelvin Sheppard, 15 Brandon Taylor and 78 Joe Barksdale.
2. Florida won the toss and deferred to the second half. LSU received the opening kickoff.
3. With its 33-29 come-from-behind win in the fourth quarter today against Tennessee, LSU has now won 15 games in the fourth quarter
or overtime in six seasons under Les Miles since 2005.
4. After holding Florida scoreless in the first quarter, the LSU defense has only allowed one touchdown in the first quarter in its last 14
games dating back to last year’s Mississippi State. Tennessee scored in the final seconds of the first quarter last week.
5. Florida dropped to 38-5 in night games in the Swamp dating back to 1990. Three of the losses came at the hands of LSU – 2002, ’05
6. Florida also dropped to 35-3 in the Swamp under head coach Urban Meyer. It represented LSU’s first win in Gainesville since 2005
when the Gators were coached by Ron Zook.
7. Head coach Les Miles won his first game in the Swamp. He has now won on the road in every league venue with the exception of
Kentucky. (Miles has only faced Kentucky once in Lexington with that being in 2007).
8. With the win Les Miles became the first LSU coach since Charles McClendon (1962-79) to beat Florida three times during his career.
Under Coach Miles, LSU has defeated Florida in Baton Rouge in 2005 and 2007 as well as tonight.
9. PK Josh Jasper booted two field goals tonight: a 45-yarder with 10:54 left in the first quarter, a 39-yarder as time expired in the first
a. Jasper is now 12-of-14 for the season and 31-of-36 for his career. He remains the LSU career leader in field goal percentage (.861). For his career, he is 10-of-14 from 40 yards or more. Beyond 50-yards, Jasper is 3-of-5.
b. Jasper is in sole possession of eighth place in LSU career field goals made with 31, which is two behind the 33 field goals made by both Mike Conway (1975-78) and Pedro Suarez (1990-92).
c. With three made PATs against Florida, Jasper improved to a perfect 54-of-54 for his career. The 54 consecutive PATs ranks fourth all-time in the LSU consecutive PATs record books.
10. TE Chase Clement recorded his first career reception with a 21-yard reception midway through the first quarter.
11. WR Terrence Toliver hauled in his 100th career reception midway through the first quarter.
a. Toliver then made a huge play when he hauled in a Jarrett Lee pass and scored a 38-yard touchdown with 1:22 remaining in the second quarter.
b. Toliver caught his second touchdown of the game with six seconds left to lift LSU to a 33-29 win. It marked the second time in his career that he has hauled in two TD receptions in the same game. The first was at Washington on Sept. 5, 2009.
c. Toliver finished with six receptions for 111 yards, the fourth time he has recorded 100 receiving yards or more in his career. The last time he had more than 100 receiving yards was Nov. 21, 2009 when Toliver tallied 107 yards on five catches.
12. QB Jordan Jefferson had two rushing touchdowns tonight: 1-yard keeper for a score with 8:40 left in the second quarter and a 3-yard
rushing TD early in the fourth quarter. They were his third and fourth rushing TDs of the season and fifth and sixth of his career.
a. It was the second straight game Jefferson scored via the ground, becoming the first LSU QB to have back-to-back rushing TDs since Matt Flynn had three straight games with a rushing TD in 2007 (Louisiana Tech, Ole Miss and Arkansas).
b. Jefferson’s four rushing TDs this season are also the most by an LSU QB in a season since Flynn had four in 2007.
13. QB Jarrett Lee tossed his first touchdown of the season on a 38-yard catch-and-run by Terrence Toliver with 1:22 left in the second
a. Lee completed his second TD pass of the season to Toliver with six seconds left in the game. The TDs was Lee’s 17th
and 18th career touchdown passes and first since the Louisiana Tech game last season. His touchdowns were his first TD
passes in an SEC game since he threw one against Alabama in 2008.
14. CB Morris Claiborne picked off his third pass of the season with 3:07 left in the third quarter. He has now taken over the lead in that
category for LSU.
15. LB Kelvin Sheppard led the team in tackles for the fifth time this season as he finished with eight, including a sack.
16. DT Drake Nevis shattered his career high with five tackles for a loss. His previous high was 2.5 at Vanderbilt on Sept. 11.