#5 LSU vs. No. 12 Arkansas
Nov. 27, 2010 – War Memorial Stadium (Little Rock, Ark.)
LSU Postgame Notes
1. LSU’s game captains were 7 Patrick Peterson, 9 Jordan Jefferson, 11 Kelvin Sheppard, 30 Josh Jasper, 78 Joseph Barksdale and 92 Drake Nevis.
2. Arkansas won the toss and elected to receive. The Tigers chose to defend the north endzone.
3. Saturday’s game marked the first time since 2006 that LSU and Arkansas entered the game inside the Top 25.
4. With the loss, LSU holds a 34-20-2 lead in the all-time series. The Tigers fell to 8-7 against Arkansas in Little Rock. The last six games of the series have been decided by a total of 21 points.
5. By forcing Arkansas into a punt on its first offensive possession, LSU has held its opponents scoreless on opening drives in all 12 games this season. The LSU defense has forced 10 punts and two turnovers by its opponents on first drives in 2010.
6. LSU’s defense also allowed just its fourth first quarter touchdown over its last 14 SEC games dating back to the 2009 season. Arkansas joins Tennessee, Auburn and Ole Miss, all this season, as the only teams to score an opening quarter touchdown.
7. The Tigers defense recorded multiple interceptions for the third consecutive game. The last time LSU accomplished that feat was against Ole Miss, Arkansas and Iowa to conclude the 2004 season.
8. LSU’s offense had its stretch of 10 straight quarters with points dating back to the third quarter of the Alabama game snapped after being held scoreless in the first quarter.
9. LSU dropped to 4-2 this season and to 22-13 against Top 25 teams in the Les Miles era.
10. LSU finished the regular season with 10 wins for the sixth time in program history. The Tigers also reached that feat during the 1958, 2003, 2005, 2006 and 2007 seasons. Three of the six 10-win campaigns are under Miles.
11. RB Stevan Ridley tallied his fourth multi-touchdown game of the career. It marked the fourth time in the last six games and third consecutive multi-touchdown effort for Ridley.
a. Ridley punched in a pair of scoring runs during the second quarter. Both his five-yard run with 11:52 left and his three-yard scamper with 2:20 remaining tied the score.
b. Ridley has 14 rushing touchdowns for the season and vaulted into a fifth place tie with Charles Alexander (1978) and Dalton Hillard (1985) on the all-time list. The Natchez, Miss. native now has 17 career rushing touchdowns.
c. With 75 rushing yards, Ridley became the 13th player in program history to eclipse 1,000 yards for a season. Charles Scott (2008) with 1,174 yards was the last LSU player to reach that feat.
12. QB Jordan Jefferson returned to the War Memorial Stadium, the site of his first career start during the 2008 season.
a. Jefferson dropped to 19-7 as LSU’s starting quarterback.
13. P Derek Helton boomed an 82-yard punt during the first quarter, second-longest in program history only behind an 86-yard effort against Kentucky during the 2002 season.
a. The punt was knocked out-of-bounds at the three-yard line to give Helton 15 punts downed inside the opponent 20-yard line this season. The 82-yard boot also was the longest recorded punt in the SEC this season.
14. PK Josh Jasper had his run of eight consecutive field goal makes come to a close with 4:45 left in the first quarter on a 43-yard miss that sailed wide left. He rebounded to knock home kicks from distances of 46, 20 and 36 yards during the second half.
a. It was Jasper’s seventh multi field game of the season and 10th of his career. He has connected for multiple field goals in four straight games.
b. Jasper is now 45-of-53 for his career and moved to within five field goals of matching John Corbello (1999-2002) for third place on LSU’s career list.
c. For the season, Jasper improved to 26-of-31 on field goals. His 26 field goals made this season tied him with Colt David’s (2007), single-season record. The 31 attempts are second, two back of David (2007), for a single season.
d. Jasper remains LSU’s leader in career field goal percentage having drilled 84.9 percent of his kicks. He also is second in SEC history in that category.
e. Jasper was 2-of-2 on extra points on the afternoon, improving to 31-of-32 on the season and 70-of-71 for his career.
15. RB Spencer Ware hauled in a career-long 29-yard reception in the first quarter, while WR Kardon Boone collected a career-best 24-yard catch during the second quarter.
16. DB Patrick Peterson racked up 109 kickoff return yards on two attempts.
a. It was the fifth time that Peterson has surpassed the century mark in return yards in 2010.
17. DE Kendrick Adams garnered his first career 1.5 sacks. He teamed with LB Ryan Baker in the second quarter and received credit for a solo effort during the third quarter.
a. Adams is the 11th player to record a sack this season. He was joined by DE Lavar Edwards and DB Tyrann Mathieu with sacks on the afternoon.
18. DB Morris Claiborne secured his fifth interception of the season and fifth of his career with 45 seconds left in the second quarter.
19. SS Eric Reid recorded his first career interception with 6:02 remaining in the third quarter.
20. FS Karnell Hatcher equaled a career-high with 10 tackles for the second straight game. He has three double figure tackle efforts.
21. LB Kelvin Sheppard also tallied 10 tackles for his sixth double figure tackle effort of the season.