Here's my AP poll vote after the opening weekend of the 2011 season.
Thought about a write-in campaign for Mother Nature, but decided not to. Figured she was punished enough like the rest of us for having to endure Maryland's uniforms Monday night.
I didn't bump LSU up too much, simply because neither Oklahoma nor Florida State did anything to warrant being dropped down. They took care of business like they needed to.
I do think the Tigers' victory 40-27 against previous No. 3 Oregon was the most impressive on opening weekend, though, just nudging Boise State's two-touchdown triumph over Georgia at a "neutral" site.
Here's how I voted:
Sept. 6 AP poll
1. Oklahoma (1-0): Sooners showed plenty of offense to rumble past Tulsa. Might need to tighten up on defense as the season rolls along.
2. Florida State (1-0): Seminoles blasted past outmanned UL-Monroe without breaking much of a sweat and got two young QBs some playing time.
3. LSU (1-0): No reason to think the Tigers defense and special teams can't contend with anybody they play. If offense can catch up, watch out.
4. Alabama (1-0): Warmup act was thorough domination for the Crimson Tide. Second act at Penn State will present a much different challenge.
5. Boise State (1-0): Broncos are again for real, especially when you consider a defense that stymied Georgia for most of the night.
6. Virginia Tech (1-0): No early-season stumble for the Hokies this year in a dominant performance against a good Appalachian State team.
7. Nebraska (1-0): Huskers breathed easy in opener but now they welcome always feisty Fresno State to Lincoln before the Big Ten era begins. Trap game?
8. Stanford (1-0): Cardinal blasted Bay Area brother San Jose State without much trouble and now journey across the country to face Duke. No trap there.
9. Oregon (0-1): Not sure I'd be all that pumped up if I were a Nevada player this week. A bunch of angry Ducks are not to be messed with.
10. Oklahoma State (1-0): Cowboys get a chance to knock off a Stoops-coached team when Arizona comes calling on Thursday.
11. Texas A&M (1-0): Aggies christened their final Big 12 season by punching a hole in SMU's hopes of replacing them.
12. South Carolina (1-0): Plenty of offense, not nearly enough defense for the Gamecocks in the opener. Improvement needed vs. Georgia.
13. Ohio State (1-0): Buckeyes get to beat up another in-state patsy this week before things start to get tricky.
14. Florida (1-0): Hard to get a read on the Gators yet after they did what they should've to rout Florida Atlantic.
15. West Virginia (1-0): Mountaineers kept their unbeaten streak alive against Marshall in rain-soaked Morgantown.
16. Mississippi State (1-0): Bulldogs thumped Memphis easily and now take a turn at showing if Auburn is for real or not this season.
17. Wisconsin (1-0): Badgers just keep hanging up big offensive numbers no matter who the quarterback is.
18. Michigan State (1-0): Spartans have one more creampuff before they start getting tested by Notre Dame and a brutal October Big Ten slate.
19. Georgia (0-1): One loss doesn't a season make, and the Bulldogs better make sure they live by that mantra this week.
20. Missouri (1-0): Tigers notched perhaps the second-least impressive win by a Top-25 team of opening week and now head to Tempe for a tougher test.
21. Arkansas (1-0): No Ryan Mallett, no Knile Davis, no problem for the Razorbacks offense – against Missouri State anyway.
22. South Florida (1-0): Bulls jump into my poll after an impressive road win at Notre Dame and they should stay here with a soft next three weeks.
23. TCU (0-1): The only reason the Horned Frogs stay ranked for me is because their offense showed a lot of spunk. Defense, eh, not so much.
24. Texas (1-0): Longhorns got off on the right hoof against Rice, but BYU presents a much different problem.
25. Clemson (1-0): Quietly, these Tigers notched one of the more impressive victories of the weekend by clubbing normally pesky Troy by 24 points.
AP poll: How I voted this week
Tiger Blitz Top Stories
New Tiger Blitz members receive a great perk!Another great partnership from the folks at Scout.com brings a big benefit to new Tiger Blitz/Scout members!
Tiger BlitzYesterday at 11:18 AM
Game Preview: LSU vs. Ole MissTiger Blitz previews LSU's SEC matchup against rival Ole Miss on Saturday night in Death Valley with predictions, matchups to watch, game notes, and more!
Tiger BlitzYesterday at 4:00 AM
LSU Depth Chart is Settled for Ole Miss gameWith LSU's matchup against Ole Miss looming on Saturday night, coach Ed Orgeron met with the media to update injuries, players making moves on the depth chart and about how big of…
Tiger BlitzThursday at 4:36 PM
LSU Tigers Linebackers Wish ListTiger Blitz has done some digging and breaks down the top linebacker targets LSU is currently pursuing in the 2017 class.
Tiger BlitzThursday at 3:00 PM
5 Biggest LSU-Ole Miss Recruiting StorylinesTiger Blitz' Billy Embody and OM Spirit's Yancy Porter break down the biggest recruiting storylines for LSU-Ole Miss including the latest on each 2017 target for both schools.
Tiger BlitzWednesday at 9:20 AM