LSU cruises past Kentucky, 41-3

LSU went ahead early and never looked back, rolling to an easy 41-3 victory against Kentucky on Saturday in Tiger Stadium

LSU did its part Saturday to set up what should be an electric atmosphere in Tiger Stadium next week.

The Tigers outmatched Kentucky in a dominant, 41-3 win, their largest margin of victory in an SEC game since 2011. Coupled with an Ole Miss win against Tennessee, LSU will host the undefeated Rebels on Oct. 18 with a chance to bring their SEC West rivals back down to Earth.

LSU will certainly be riding high into that matchup after a thorough rout against the Wildcats. The Tigers jumped out to an early 17-0 lead and never looked back. The defense held Kentucky to only 217 yards of total offense.

LSU’s offense on the other hand wasn’t particularly pretty either. The Tigers did finish with 426 yards, 226 of which came on the ground in the second half. Anthony Jennings took the majority of the snaps, with Brandon Harris not coming in until 11 minutes remained in the game and the final result a certainty.

Jennings finished 7-for-14 with 120 yards passing and a touchdown. Terrence Magee led the rushing attack, racking up a season-high 127 yards and a pair of touchdowns.

Leonard Fournette contributed a touchdown, and Tre’Davious White chipped in to the winning effort with a 69-yard punt return score in the first quarter, part of a dominant night for the special teams.



LSU jumped out to an early lead thanks in large part to the special teams.

Magee returned the opening kickoff 49 yards to set up the Tigers at the Kentucky 29-yard line. LSU needed only six plays — all runs — to take it the rest of the way, capped off by a one-yard dive by Fournette.

The next offensive possession also started in Kentucky territory after a 17-yard punt return by White. This time, the Tigers had to settle for a field goal after getting to the Wildcats’ four-yard line. Connor Neighbors dropped a pass at the goal line on third down to set up Colby Delahoussaye’s 21-yard attempt.

The LSU defense forced its second consecutive three-and-out to start the game, sending White back again to return the punt. He was helped by a monstrous block from Jamal Adams that sprung him for a 67-yard touchdown, the Tigers’ first return score of the season.

The Kentucky offense finally got on the board its next possession, but the Wildcats had to settle for just a field goal after a 13-play, 66-yard drive. That was it for Kentucky in the first half, as the Wildcats went into halftime with just 131 total yards of offense.

LSU would tack on 10 more points to take a 27-3 lead after two quarters.

The LSU offense did sputter a bit in that second quarter, with three consecutive drives ending in punts.

But Jennings would eventually connect with Travin Dural for a 32-yard touchdown along the right sideline with 0:49 left in the half.

The Tigers had to take the ensuing kickoff from their own 20 after a personal foul on the touchdown. LSU opted to squib it, but no Kentucky players came anywhere near the bouncing ball. Lewis Neal recovered it, and the Tigers were able to get a 35-yard field goal before halftime.

Magee took over the LSU offense in the second half. His first five carries of the third quarter picked up a combined 107 yards with a nine-yard touchdown and another from 23.

That second score put the Tigers ahead 41-3 while the LSU defense continued to dominate Kentucky. The Wildcats managed just 59 yards of offense in the third quarter and didn’t have much more success in the fourth.

Kentucky did muster a threat by reaching the LSU nine-yard line, but a failed fourth down pass attempt put an end to that. The Wildcats failed to pick a first down on their final offensive series.

Tiger Blitz Top Stories