LSU knocks off Ole Miss, 10-7

Anthony Jennings threw a three-yard touchdown to Logan Stokes to give LSU a 10-7 victory, knocking off undefeated Ole Miss

No. 24 LSU mounted a 95-yard, game-winning touchdown drive to knock off undefeated No. 3 Ole Miss, 10-7, on Saturday in Tiger Stadium.

Trailing 7-3 midway through the fourth quarter, LSU took over from its own five-yard line. With Anthony Jennings having thrown a pair of interceptions in the second half, the Tigers went with the ground game.

LSU ran it 12 consecutive times for a total of 92 yards. Then, the Tigers did what nobody expected.

Jennings faked the handoff to Kenny Hilliard and found a wide-open Logan Stokes for the go-ahead score, his first career reception. It was the run game though that led to LSU’s win, and the Tigers finished with 264 rushing yards against an Ole Miss team that entered the game with one of the best run defenses in the country.

The game was far from over after that score though, with LSU having to survive a pair of Ole Miss offensive attacks.

The first ended in a turnover on downs. Starting the drive with five minutes left in the game, Ole Miss picked up one first down and got to the LSU 48-yard line facing a 3rd-and-2.

I’Tavius Mathers rushed it up the middle but only picked up a yard. Ole Miss tried to hurry the fourth down call, and Bo Wallace attempted to sneak it up the middle. Jermauria Rasco and Kendell Beckwith were credited with the stop for no gain.

Ole Miss did get one more opportunity after forcing a three-and-out on LSU’s ensuing offensive possession. The Rebels took over with 1:19 left in the game, and managed to pick up a 4th-and-8. Ole Miss got another first down on the next play, crossing midfield.

After an injury timeout, Wallace scrambled and attempted a deep heave to Laquon Treadwell. It was underthrown. Ronald Martin came up with the interception, but Jalen Mills was called for pass interference, giving Ole Miss another chance.

Wallace scrambled on second down and picked up eight to bring the Rebels within a field goal try from 43 yards. But then the Rebels were called for a delay of game, knocking them out of field goal territory.

Wallace dropped back to pass, rolled to his left, heaved it to the end zone, but Martin came down with the interception — and this time it stood.

LSU dove up the middle from its own two-yard line to seal the victory, sending the sold out Tiger Stadium into frenzy with the crowd storming the field after the clock ran out.



LSU entered halftime with a 7-3 deficit, but that score could’ve been much different had the Tigers not wasted several golden opportunities.

LSU’s opening two offensive possessions reached the red zone, but the Tigers got nothing to show for it.

LSU’s first six plays got them inside the 20, including consecutive passes for a combined 43 yards. Leonard Fournette seemingly had the Tigers inside the five, but an inadvertent whistle from the referees blew the play dead even though he wasn’t actually down. The drive stalled from there, and the Tigers had to settle for a 28-yard field goal attempt that Colby Delahoussaye pushed wide left.

LSU got even closer on the next possession but came away with the same result. Fournette tried to barrel in from three yards out but fumbled it on the goal line for another blown red zone trip.

The Tigers’ third offensive possession ended in another fumble, this one by Terrence Magee, but the LSU defense mostly held Ole Miss in check to limit the damage.

Of the Rebels’ five first-half possessions, three ended in a punt and one in a turnover on downs. Ole Miss did reach the end zone once on a six-play, 80-yard drive. Bo Wallace found Cody Core on third-and-goal from the 15 to give the Rebels a 7-0 lead late in the first quarter.

LSU got on the board with its next possession, going 90 yards on 16 plays. The Tigers ran it down the Rebels’ throat, picking up 77 of those yards on the ground. But the drive stalled at the Ole Miss four-yard line, and the Tigers had to settle for a field goal to make it 7-3 at halftime.

That score held through the third quarter has neither offense found any success. The two teams combined for just 90 yards and five punts plus an LSU interception.

Jennings would throw another pick in the fourth quarter, and from there LSU stuck to the ground game, as evidenced by that game-winning touchdown drive.

Tiger Blitz Top Stories