LSU shut out in Arkansas, 17-0

LSU was shut out Saturday in Arkansas, falling to the Razorbacks 17-0. The Tigers suffered their second consecutive defeat for the first time since 2008

The 175-pound Golden Boot trophy will return to Fayetteville for the first time in four years.

Arkansas held No. 20 LSU to barely a whimper in a decisive, 17-0 victory Saturday in Reynolds Razorback Stadium. That provided Arkansas with its first SEC win under second-year coach Bret Bielema, and the Tigers suffered a second-straight loss for the first time since 2008.

The Tiger offense continues to lay stagnant. LSU accumulated just 123 total yards Saturday, 50 of which came in the fourth quarter. LSU only ran for only 36 yards —by far its lowest rushing total of the season — and also missed a pair of field goals.

LSU didn’t fare any better through the air. Anthony Jennings went 12-for-22 for 87 yards, his second consecutive game with fewer than 100 passing yards.

LSU hadn’t been shut out since the 2011 BCS National Championship debacle against Alabama. It was the first time a team other than the Crimson Tide held LSU scoreless since the 1993 season opener against Texas A&M (Alabama’s done it three times since).

The final nail in LSU’s coffin came midway through the fourth quarter. The Tigers had reached the edge of the Arkansas red zone facing a 17-0 deficit. LSU had picked up 56 yards in eight plays — its longest drive of the game — before Anthony Jennings fumbled for the Tigers’ first and only turnover.

LSU lost a combined six yards with its final two possessions.

LSU’s offensive ineptitude showed from the start of a one-hour, 16-minute first half that featured Arkansas jumping out to a 10-0 lead.

The Razorbacks struck early, netting a field goal on their opening drive, the fourth time in six SEC games they’ve scored on their first possession. It featured three long pass plays — two 14-yarders to Korliss Marshall and one to tight end Hunter Henry for 16.

The series stalled in the LSU red zone though. Consecutive runs by Jonathan Williams produced only two yards, and Tre’Davious White’s pass breakup of a throw in the end zone to Henry forced the successful 32-yard field goal by Adam McFain.

LSU’s first two possessions — its only drives of the first quarter — combined to lose six yards. The first was mired by a 28-yard errant shotgun snap by Elliott Porter, who would later come out with an ankle injury. The second picked up a pair of first downs before a sack and delay of game left LSU with an insurmountable third-and-21.

Arkansas melted the clock with the ensuing possession, taking it 59 yards on 15 plays in 6:55. The Razorbacks converted a pair of third downs before White contributed to another on third-and-14 from the LSU 15. The Tiger corner was called for pass interference on a throw intended for Henry.

Williams dove into the end zone three plays later from a yard out to push the Hogs up 10-0.

LSU blew its best scoring opportunity of the first half. LSU converted three third downs — two on the ground and one to Travin Dural. A pass interference contributed to another, but the Tigers failed to take advantage of the opportunity.

A three-yard run by Darrel Williams and a pair of incompletions left Colby Delahoussaye with a 27-yard field goal attempt he pushed wide right, his first of two misses on the night (he’d only missed one field goal this season prior to Saturday).

LSU’s first legitimate scoring opportunity of the second half ended with the same result. After starting the drive six yards shy of midfield, the Tigers made it to the Arkansas 21, thanks in large part to a targeting penalty called on Rohan Gaines.

A pair of short runs left LSU a third-and-6, but Jennings took a 10-yard sack that left Delahoussaye with a 47-yard attempt. He came up well short.

Those six points LSU left on the field wouldn’t have made a difference though, as the Tigers would’ve needed a lot more offensive production to keep pace with the Razorbacks.

Tiger Blitz Top Stories