When: Saturday, Sept. 17 at 6 p.m. CT
Where: Tiger Stadium (Baton Rouge, LA)
TV/Radio: ESPN2/LSU Sports Radio Network 98.1 FM in Baton Rouge
Series: LSU leads, 72-34-3
Last Meeting: LSU won 21-19
Line: LSU -13.5
1st Quarter Blog
Well, after a three and out for LSU to start things off, it certainly got interesting. LSU's first quarter featured a few reverses (with passes off those), DJ Chark's first career touchdown on a deep post from Danny Etling and Leonard Fournette put LSU up 14-0 with under a minute to go in the first quarter. LSU got after Nick Fitzgerald, pressuring him and forcing a few incompletions, but LSU held State to just seven yards rushing. If the Tigers keep up this pressure on Fitzgerald, it'll be very difficult for State to get anything going offensively. For now, here's to one of these reverse passes getting completed one of these times.
2nd Quarter Blog
LSU continued to really dominate Mississippi State overall in the second quarter. Outside of a pass interference call that was questionable on LSU, which led to a State field goal, the Tigers were all over the Bulldogs. Fournette ran a touchdown in from 25 yards out to cap an 11-play drive that took over five minutes. LSU allowed a field goal on the next drive, but answered with a 12-play, 68-yard drive that ended with a field goal. LSU had a chance to potentially run more plays with different play calling down in the redzone at the end of the half, but running Fournette twice is something most would do with him in the backfield. LSU wishes they had a couple extra timeouts, but offensively, you can't complain about a drive like that. Etling continues to thrive in checking the ball down while taking shots down the field. LSU continues to pressure Fitzgerald and have held the Bulldogs to just 15 yards rushing. It's going well here tonight I'd say.
LSU-Mississippi State Quick Links
- LSU-Mississippi State Game Preview + Staff Predictions
- List of recruits in attendance
- Five Mississippi State players to know
- From the other side: Steve Robertson/Billy Embody break down LSU-Mississippi State
- The other huddle: Tiger Blitz answers Gene's Page's questions on the Tigers
- From State: Senior players want to win in Baton Rouge one more time
- WATCH: Les Miles and players meet with media on Monday
- WATCH: Les Miles' Wednesday Press Conference
- WATCH: Dan Mullen Weekly Press Conference
- WATCH FROM STATE SIDE: Gene's Page breaks down LSU-Mississippi State
- WATCH: Inside the Matchup - LSU vs. Mississippi State
- WATCH: Gene's Page previews LSU-Mississippi State
Three Things to Know on Gameday
- Les Miles has said that LSU will start Danny Etling at quarterback against the Bulldogs. Etling will be the 13th quarterback to make his first start for LSU at Tiger Stadium. The previous 12 quarterbacks are 12-0.
- Running back Leonard Fournette will make his return after sitting out against Jacksonville State, Miles said this week. Fournette was sidelined with an ankle bruise following a hit against Wisconsin.
- Kendell Beckwith and Tre'Davious White talked about the discipline it takes to defend the zone-read and run-pass option.
11 a.m. CST’s LSU GameDay Live Pre-Game Show (Tiger One Village at PMAC)
3:55 p.m. LSU walks down “Victory Hill”
4 p.m. LSU Game Day presented by CST radio show at Zatarain’s Tiger One Village
4:10 p.m. Band comes down Victory Hill
5:49 p.m. Golden Band from Tigerland takes the field for pregame performance
5:53 p.m. Alma Mater and National Anthem
5:59:30 p.m. LSU intro video
6:01 p.m. LSU takes the field
6:02 p.m. Mississippi State takes the field
6:02 p.m. Coin toss at midfield
6:05 p.m. Kickoff: LSU vs. Mississippi State on ESPN2
Follow Tiger Blitz for the latest from Baton Rouge as the Tigers get ready for their SEC opener!