LSU OL Andy Dodd (above) prepping for first start of career
The move was made last week by LSU offensive line coach Jeff Grimes. Andy Dodd was likely to start at center against Florida, before the game was cancelled, with his parents set to fly down to Gainesville. Now, he'll get his first start in Tiger Stadium instead.
"With Will and Toby being hurt, I kind of thought I may get more into the mix with a bigger role. If there's no change there, I expect I'll start," Dodd said. "All we can do is prepare and play. We didn't get to unfortunately, but we will this week."
For the past few games, Dodd has been getting some action at center, but he's been full on working on getting ready for that start the past two weeks. On the sidelines of games, Dodd has stayed engaged.
"Not making the calls, but I try to watch and pick up things that can help people on the field," Dodd said. "I have a good understanding of what to look for and what our offense is trying to do."
The differences between Ethan Pocic, who will move to right tackle, and Dodd are night and day in terms of being vocal, but Dodd has made a lot of progress since arriving as a freshman.
"Ethan's loud. He's a very vocal kind of person. I'm not. I kind of stay to myself so it's not really a challenge because I've gotten better, but when I first got here, I needed to open up and be loud. I can do well now, but he's naturally loud and I'm just not."
Dodd said Pocic trusts him as does the rest of the offensive line and communication will be key.
"Me and Ethan are friends. He's focusing on preparing to play tackle. That's a big difference to be going from center to tackle," Dodd said. "I'll take any help I can get. If they see something I don't see, and all five guys can contribute, then it's going to be a good mix."
LSU looks like it will start K.J. Malone, Maea Teuhema, Dodd, Josh Boutte and Pocic from left to right against Southern Miss this week.
Leonard Fournette, Foster Moreau, Toby Weathersby and Will Clapp were all not at practice today. Saivion Smith is back to full-contact after being in a yellow, non-contact jersey the last two weeks.
Thompson returns to LSU practice
Linebacker Corey Thompson was back working with the outside linebackers after suffering a broken leg during fall camp. Thompson was in a regular jersey and appeared cleared for contact.
Thompson worked through drills with the linebackers, often leading the group to start. While Ed Orgeron said he's a bit away from ready for game action and they're taking it day-by-day on a potential redshirt. Orgeron did say he thinks Thompson could really help them.
I liked his explosiveness for being off for so long and he seemed to be doing everything from what we could see.
- Wide receiver Dee Anderson continues to get more and more snaps each week and I see him breaking into the rotation eventually as a normal, redzone threat for LSU. He's too big and just dominant. DJ Chark said on Monday that's due to how hard he works. Chark said that Anderson was one of the most polished wide receivers out of high school he's seen.
- Donte Jackson had a nice interception on a go route by Drake Davis as it was overthrown and Jackson caught it falling back in the air to make the play.
- Russell Gage tripped on a dig route today during 1-on-1s and Jamal Adams chirped in, "Come here!" as the quarterback decided to hold the ball. Adams was thinking interception there for sure.
- At center, Lloyd Cushenberry worked at the No. 2 center behind Dodd in 1-on-1 pass rushing drills.
- Josh Boutte managed to drive Travonte Valentine back on a 1-on-1 drill. Lot of weight colliding there, but Boutte got the best of the big nose tackle on that one.
- NFL scouts have become a regular at LSU practice now. Les Miles only allowed them out on certain days. The group we saw today: Chiefs, Dolphins, Jets, Raiders, Seahawks, Giants, Falcons, Chargers, Texans, Jags, 49ers, Bills, Cowboys, Cards, Rams and Packers.
- The team has limited what media can film now. Only 10-second clips of practice and during walk-thrus, we're not allowed to really film stuff as that's install.