LSU didn't get it done on the field against Alabama, but the Tigers certainly had their fair share of elite prospects on campus to take in the primetime special in Tiger Stadium. The sellout crowd cheering on the Tigers contributed to the incredible atmosphere that recruits took notice.
Scout's No. 1 overall player in 2018, quarterback Trevor Lawrence, got to take in the Tiger Walk inside the ropes along with commits Jacoby Stevens and Myles Brennan, which is something we really hadn't seen before. Lawrence roamed the sidelines pregame and got to talk with LSU coach Ed Orgeron beforehand.
"It was a good visit and good experience, the highlight of the visit was the stadium and how loud it was," the 5-star quarterback said. "Coach O talked to me briefly, just telling me he was glad I was there and stuff but not much."
While 4-star defensive tackle Phidarian Mathis didn't get to talk with any coaches pregame because traffic made him miss a good bit of pregame, Mathis enjoyed the atmosphere, sporting an LSU shirt, and talked with Bradley Dale Peveto after the game.
"It was kind of amazing. The crowd was absolutely loud. It was a live game and a great game because it's a good atmosphere up there," Mathis said. "I sat back and was rooting for both teams. I was watching their defense and checking out coaches on the sideline. They just wanted to know what they had to do to make me a Tiger. They're still on my top and we're going to roll with it. I haven't made a decision, it's just hard."
LSU also hosted Scout's No. 1 cornerback in 2018 in American Heritage 5-star Patrick Surtain, Jr., who made the trip up from Florida to take in the game. Scout's No. 3 overall player also enjoyed the experience and watching Dave Aranda's defense.
"It (the atmosphere) was amazing. They did great. That's how you play defense."
LSU 2017 offensive line commit Saahdiq Charles was also in attendance, hanging out with Brennan, defensive line commit Tyler Shelvin and fullback commit Tory Carter for much of pregame. Charles said the close game was an emotional one.
"That game was electric. A lot of emotion in the game. We came out on the wrong side," Charles said. "We score anywhere before the 4th, the ball rolls in our corner."
Brennan was in town early and is busy working on a deep playoff run for his St. Stanislaus team, but was impressed with Tiger Stadium and the game.
"Atmosphere was insane, and the game was a hard fought battle until the last snap. Have to bounce back!"
2019 4-star Amite wide receiver Devonta Lee was in attendance for the game and the recent offer gave a glowing review of the game
"I mean that was the best game I've seen this year so far on both sides of the ball. They competed and didn't give up," Lee said. "I like how the fans was into the game to make the players get hyped. That was a crazy feeling I never I will see nothing like that in my life and LSU has a lot of pride. Great athletes, great program and some great coaches."
Other Notable Recruits Sound Off:
- 2019 4-star LSU offensive line commit Kardell Thomas: "Great game defensively Offense needs work and drive blockers to move guys like Bama out of the way. That's what I feel like I would bring to the team going there in a few years."
- 2017 4-star wide receiver commit Mannie Netherly: "Reminded me of why picked to be a Tiger."
- 2018 4-star tight end target Glenn Beal: "Last night was a great experience for me. The players played their hearts out and the atmosphere was crazy, but it's something to get used to."
- 2017 5-star defensive back commit Jacoby Stevens: "The atmosphere was electric. I thought they (defense) played amazing."
- 2019 4-star defensive back commit Maurice Hampton: "I wish we could've pulled off the win, but it was by far the best atmosphere in the country."
- 2017 4-star linebacker commit Patrick Queen: "It was a great game, the atmosphere was the best I've seen yet."
- 2017 4-star defensive back commit Kary Vincent, Jr.: "Nothing better man. Best place in the world."
- 2017 4-star defensive line commit Tyler Shelvin: "It was great i loved it...the game didnt matter to me just being there was awesome."
- 2017 3-star defensive line commit Neil Farrell: "They played great defensively. Very great atmosphere. Can't wait to be a part of it."
- 2017 3-star defensive line commit Aaron Moffitt: "Biggest game of the year, stadium was rocking and the team was playing their butts off... Death Valley was in full effect."
LSU-Alabama Recruit Photo Gallery