INSIDE THE BOX | LSU at Florida
BOX SCORE | Florida 8, LSU 1
Recap | LSU offense remains stagnant in a dismal 8-1 loss to Gators
Point of emphasis | Throwing strikes. All season long Jared Poche has excelled in that department, but he struggled to master the strike zone at times Saturday and it cost him and the Tigers.
W – Brady Singer (3-1)
L – Jared Poche (5-1)
Sv. -- None
GW RBI – Nelson Maldonado 2-out 1B in 3rd inning
CRUNCHING THE NUMBERS
- Poche walked 4 hitters in 4 innings after walking 4 all season prior to the weekend.
- The Tigers’ senior left-hander finished with as many walks/hit batters (6) as he allowed hits.
- After Poche exited, four Tigers’ relievers issued 5 more walks – two to open innings – and three of the runners who got on with a free pass came around to score.
- LSU leadoff batters were 1-for-9. The one who reached – Antoine Duplantis – scored the Tigers’ only run after he started the 4th inning with a double.
- The middle three hitters of the Florida lineup did most of the damage in a 10-hit attack: J.J. Schwarz was 2-for-5 with 3 runs and an RBI, Maldonado was 2-for-2 with a pair of runs and one chased home and Mike Rivera went 3-for-3 with 2 RBIs and a pair of walks.
QUOTE OF NOTE
“He's got an explosive fastball. It sinks. He can throw it to both sides of the plate. He's got a good slider. He threw a couple quality changeups (Saturday). It’s a fastball maybe similar to Tanner Houck's, at Missouri. It's just different. You talk about spin rate, those types of things. It's just a fastball that's different. They're hard to find. A guy's got a good fastball when the hitter knows it's coming and they can't do much damage with it. That's a real fastball. He was a second rounder for a reason out of high school. He pitched really good (Saturday).”
--- Florida coach Kevin O'Sullivan on Singer
Game 3 | Noon Sunday
WHERE: McKethan Stadium | Gainesville, Fla.
RECORDS: LSU 17-7, 3-2 SEC; Florida 16-8, 2-3
RADIO: 98.1-FM (Baton Rouge)
TV: SEC Network (Sunday), SEC+/WatchESPN.com
ON THE WEB: TigerBlitz.com
TWITTER: @RandyRosetta, @BillyEmbody
LSU – No. 4 Baseball America, No. 5 NCBWA (writers), No. 5 USA Today (coaches), No. 5 D1Baseball.com, No. 6 Perfect Game, No. 8 Collegiate Baseball
Florida – No. 11 NCBWA, No. 11 D1Baseball.com, No. 12 USA Today, No. 13 Baseball America, No. 14 Perfect Game, No. 17 Collegiate Baseball
PROBABLE STARTING PITCHERS
LSU, Fr. Eric Walker (3-0, 2.67 ERA, 27 IP, 30 SO/5 BB, .228 opponent batting average) vs. Florida, So. RH Jackson Kowar (3-0, 2.35 ERA, 30.2 IP, 27 SO/12 BB, .190 OBA)