Tigers get shut out for the second time in a row in conference opener, spoil big performance by Alex Lange
INSIDE THE BOX | Texas A&M at LSU
BOX SCORE | Texas A&M 4, LSU 0
Recap | Tigers slip into a further funk, fall 4-0
Point of emphasis | A dead offense isn't likely to win a lot of games. Not only did the Tigers scratch out only 4 singles, they didn't get a runner into scoring position until the 9th inning and that was on defensive indifference.
W – Brigham Hill (5-2)
L – Alex Lange (3-3)
Sv. – None
GW RBI – Nick Choruby 2-run HR in 5th inning
RECORDS: Texas A&M 18-9, 2-5 SEC; LSU 18-9, 4-3
CRUNCHING THE NUMBERS
- The Tigers’ offensive numbers were ugly no matter how they are sliced: 4-for-29 overall, 0-for-10 with runners on base, 0-for-3 with runners in scoring position and 1-for-9 with two outs.
- Anchored by Lange, the three LSU pitchers recorded 28 first-pitch strikes in 40 at-bats and three 99 of 147 pitches for strikes (67.3%).
- LSU’s 15 strikeouts recorded match the second most this season. The Tigers also fanned 15 against Maryland on Feb. 26 after notching 16 against the Terrapins in the series opener two days earlier.
- Every A&M starter struck out at least once.
- The Aggies’ shutout was their first vs. LSU since the third game of the 1977 season, which completed a three-game sweep for A&M.
- The Tigers committed three errors Thursday, the most in a game this season. They had committed three errors in their first six SEC games combined.
- Lange’s 12 strikeouts matched his season-best and marked the fourth time in his career that he has recorded at least a dozen in a game.
- In the last five games, the top four batters in the LSU lineup are a combined 11-for-76 (.145).
QUOTE OF NOTE
“I go out there and try to throw the ball across the plate. I can’t affect the offense. That’s their stuff. I feel for those guys because I know how bad they want it to happen and how hard they work.”
--- LSU SP Alex Lange
Game 2 | 8 p.m. Friday
Game 3 | 2:30 p.m. Saturday
WHERE: Alex Box Stadium
RADIO: 98.1-FM (Baton Rouge)
TV/LIVESTREAM: ESPNU (Friday), ESPN2 (Saturday), WatchESPN.com
ON THE WEB: TigerBlitz.com
TWITTER: @RandyRosetta, @BillyEmbody, @LSUBaseball
LSU – No. 6 Baseball America, No. 8 USA Today (coaches), No. 9 D1Baseball.com, No. 10 Perfect Game, No. 13 Collegiate Baseball
PROBABLE STARTING PITCHERS
Friday | Texas A&M, So. RH Stephen Kolek (1-1, 5.23 ERA, 31 IP, 18 SO/9 BB, .286 OBA) vs. LSU, Sr. LH Jared Poche (5-1, 0.90 ERA, 40 IP, 25 SO/8 BB, .156 OBA)
Saturday | Texas A&M, Jr. RH Corbin Martin (2-2, 4.07 ERA, 24.1 IP, 38 SO/14 BB, .247 OBA) vs. LSU, Fr. Eric Walker (3-0, 3.69 ERA, 31.2 IP, 36 SO/9 BB, .237 OBA)