Sophomore Alleyne Lett began the first of two full days of competition in the men's decathlon. The All-SEC selection from St. David's, Grenada, sits in sixth place with 3,814 points after the completion of five events.
Lett led the competition after three events, throwing a personal best 49-1 3/4 in the shot put to jump from fourth to first in standings. The throw, nearly 18 inches better than his previous best, was second among the field of competitors and garnered him 789 points.
Earlier in the day, Lett turned in an outstanding effort in the long jump also placing second with a distance of? 23-10 1/4 to rack up 878 points.
"Alleyne did a pretty good job today," said LSU head coach Dennis Shaver. "He has put himself in a good position to score in the track meet and that's what it is all about."
In qualifying round action, LSU advanced both its men's and women's 4x100-meter relays into the finals.
Individually, Baptiste advanced through two rounds of competition into the finals of the women's 100 meters. The Mideast Regional champion clocked 11.51 in the first round before earning an automatic bid to the finals by virtue of a fourth-place finish in her semifinal heat (11.49).
"Kelly struggled a little bit at the beginning like she did at the NCAA Indoors, but she got herself together, figured out what she did different and corrected it in the second race," said Shaver. "It's a real plus for her to make it into the finals as a freshman. She deserves that opportunity."
Willie also moved on advancing to Friday's semifinals in the men's 400 meters. Running through the rain Willie cruised to victory in his first round heat, crossing the line in 45.88.
Action from the NCAA Championships continues Thursday afternoon. Competition gets underway at 1:15 p.m. (CT) with the conclusion of the decathlon. The open field events begin at 2:30 p.m. and the running events follow at 7:10 p.m.
NCAA Men's Track & Field Championships Results and Schedule
All times Central
Event #1 - 100 Meter Dash
1. Trey Hardee (Texas), 10.86 (892 pts.)
2. Mustafa Abdur-Rahim (Dartmouth), 10.96 (870 pts.)
3. Michael Bingham (BYU), 11.09 (841 pts.)
4. Andrew Levin (Montana), 11.19 (819 pts.)
5. Alleyne Lett (LSU), 11.25 (806 pts.)
Event #3 - Shot Put (Lett 1st through 3 events by 78
1. William Thomas (Connecticut), 50-0 3/4 (806 pts.)
2. Alleyne Lett (LSU), 49-1 3/4 (788 pts.)
Decathlon Standings through 5 events
1. Andrew Levin (Montana), 4023
2. William Thomas (Connecticut), 3991
3. Donavan Kilmartin (Texas), 3964
4. Trey Hardee (Texas), 3947
5. Mustafa Abdur-Rahim (Dartmouth), 3881
6. Alleyne Lett (LSU), 3814
Men's 4x100 Relay Round 1
1. Florida, 38.91
6. LSU (Thompson, Carter, Willie, Brazell), 39.21q
Men's 400 Meter Dash Round 1
1. Andrae Williams (Texas Tech), 45.41Q
4. Kelly Willie (LSU), 45.88Q
Men's 400 Meter Hurdles Round 1, Thurs., 7:50
Men's 200 Meter Dash Semifinals, Thurs., 9:05 p.m.
Men's 4x400 Relay Round 1, Thurs., 10:40 p.m.
NCAA Women's Track & Field Championships Results and Schedule
Women's 4x100 Relay Round 1
1. Texas, 43.60Q
8. LSU (Owens, Lawrence, Ohanaja, Baptiste), 44.50q
Women's 100 Meter Dash Round 1
1. Cleo Tyson (Tennessee), 11.33Q
14. Kelly Baptiste (LSU), 11.54q
Women's 400 Meter Dash Round 1
1. Monique Henderson (UCLA), 51.56Q
21. Deonna Lawrence (LSU), 53.82
Women's 800 Meters Round 1
1. Lysaira Roman-DelValle (Kansas St.), 2:04.85Q
25. Tanya Osbourne (LSU), 2:12.50
Women's Long Jump Qualifying, Wed., 9:15
1. Tianna Masion (Tennessee), 22-0 1/4Q
20. Tina Harris (LSU), 19-6 1/4
Women's 200 Meter Dash Semifinals, Thurs., 9:20
Women's 4x400 Relay Prelims, Thurs., 11 p.m.