Tigers outlast Ole Miss 79-73

OXFORD, Miss. -- LSU's Tasmin Mitchell had a three-pointer and a steal in the final two minutes, while Darrel Mitchell scored 10 of his game-high 28 points in the final 5:19 to lead the LSU men's basketball team past Ole Miss, 79-73, on Saturday at Tad Smith Coliseum.

The Tigers (14-5, 6-0 SEC) remained perfect in conference play and won their 12th-straight SEC game over the past two seasons. Ole Miss lost for the third-straight time and fell to 13-6 overall and 3-3 in SEC play.

Tasmin Mitchell's three-pointer with 1:56 to play gave LSU a lead it would not relinquish, as the Tigers came back from a 10-point first-half deficit with a 24-5 run to earn the road victory.

Senior Darrel Mitchell made 8-of-12 shots including 5-of-7 three pointers and all seven free throw attempts to again pace LSU. Freshman Tasmin Mitchell added a career-best 20, while Glen Davis overcame a knee injury sustained in the first half and foul trouble throughout to 19 score points.

The Tigers shot only 47 percent from the field (26 of 55), but made 20-of-23 free throws and 7-of-14 three pointers that were the difference in the contest.

LSU committed only seven turnovers, while forcing 16.

Only seven LSU players saw action.

Ole Miss was led by Bam Doyne who had 20 points. Clarence Sanders added 15 despite 1-of-7 three-point shooting. Londrick Nolen and Todd Abernethy each scored 10 points.

The Rebels buried nine three pointers and shot 53 percent from the field (27 of 51), but took 10 fewer free throws than LSU.

The Tigers struggled from the field early on, falling behind 21-11 in the first 10 minutes of the game while allowing Ole Miss to hit three three-pointers.

LSU stormed back with a 24-5 run to silence the Rebels crowd and take a 35-26 lead on Davis layup with 3:53 to play in the first half. However, Ole Miss held LSU scoreless for the remainder of the half and trailed 35-31 at the break.

The Rebels cut the lead to two, 39-37, in the opening minute of the second half, but LSU responded with an 8-1 run capped by a Darrel Mitchell three-pointer to push it back to five with 16:39 to play.

Ole Miss wasn't to be denied, as the LSU front line of Davis, Tyrus Thomas and Darnell Lazare were forced to rotate due to foul trouble. The Rebels took their first lead of the second half, 61-59, with 5:32 to play on a pair of free throws by Sanders.

LSU's Darrel Mitchell scored eight-straight to tie the game and then give his team a 67-64 lead just after the four-minute media timeout.

After hitting four-straight free throws, LSU was able to match a three pointer by Todd Abernethy with one by Tasmin Mitchell with less than two minutes to play. LSU led 74-71.

Ole Miss answered with a pair of free throws of their own, but Davis powered to the goal and was able to create a three-point play to extend the lead to two possessions, 77-73, with 1:13 to play.

On the ensuing possession, Tasmin Mitchell stole the ball from Doyne and Darrel Mitchell hit two free throws to seal the victory.

Tiger Blitz Top Stories