Women top Stanford- join men in Final Four

LSU's Seimone Augustus drew a charging foul with 4.8 seconds remaining and then made two free throws with 4.6 seconds remaining to send the Lady Tigers to their third-straight Women's Final Four, 62-59, over Stanford.

As the teams felt their way through the first half, each looked to their superstars to lead the way.

For Stanford, Smith made 4-of-9 shots in the half, but didn't attempt a field goal in the final eight minutes of the half when Wiggins went to work to earn nine of her 11 first-half points.

Augustus and Fowles combined for 17 of LSU's 23 points in the first 20 minutes, making 8-of-15 shots. With Stanford keying on each and packing as many as five players in the paint, the rest of the Lady Tigers were unable to capitalize on open shots, making only 3 of 14.

The Lady Tigers fell behind 5-0 in the opening minutes, but battled back to take an 8-7 lead with 14:13 left in the half. Smith scored six points in the next three minutes as the Cardinal re-took the lead, 13-10.

LSU answered with six straight to grab their largest lead of the first half, 16-13. However, after a Fowles second-chance layup with 6:25 to play in the half, LSU went 5:11 without a field goal to fall behind 26-19 on a Wiggins three pointer.

Augustus' layup with less than two seconds to play pulled LSU within five, 28-23, as the break.

Using a 14-2 run, the Lady Tigers came back to take their first lead of the second half, 41-35, when White converted a fast break layup and a 16-foot jumper to spark her team.

However, Stanford answered with eight straight points of their own, starting a see-saw on the scoreboard for the remaining 11 minutes of the contest.

There were six lead changes and one tie until LSU scored six straight to lead by five, 60-55, on a fast-break layup by Augustus with 2:09 left.

Stanford scored four straight, getting within a point with 38 seconds remaining on a three pointer by Wiggins from the top of the key.

Off an LSU turnover, Stanford took over with 11.5 and the teams traded 30-second timeouts.

Tiger Blitz Top Stories