UW runs away from Tigers 88-72

SEATTLE -- No. 17 Washington built a double-digit lead in the first eight minutes of the game and never looked back, beating the No. 12 LSU men's basketball team, 88-72, late Wednesday at Edmundson Pavilion.

LSU (6-3) returned to Baton Rouge after the game on a "red-eye" flight that arrived at 8:30 a.m. on Thursday.

However, it was the Huskies (9-1) who were causing the cloudy vision on the court.

When the game was within 20 points, Washington shot the lights out both inside and outside of the three-point arc. When they missed, they usually made it on the second chance.

Washington finished 34 of 73 shooting (47 percent), but made better than 53 percent in the first half. The Huskies were 8-of-13 from three-point range.

Huskies post players Spencer Hawes and Jon Brockman dominted the paint, combining for 42 points on 18 of 33 shooting and 26 rebounds. Forward Quincy Pondexter added 15, but all in the second half when the game was out of reach.

On the defensive end of the court, Washington put the clamps on Glen Davis and forced several early turnovers that resulted in a 19-point first-half advantage.

Davis finished with eight points, but only two came when the Tigers were within 15 of the Huskies. He was only 3-of-11 shooting with nine rebounds.

Tasmin Mitchell led the way for the Tigers, scoring 20 points on 8-of-17 shooting.

Playing his first game as a Tiger after transferring from Texas Tech, Terry Martin provided an offensive spark for LSU. The 6-6 sophomore guard made his first three shots from the field, all in the first half, and finished with 13 points on 5-of-11 shooting including three three-pointers.

LSU's Garrett Temple, Dameon Mason and Tack Minor each scored nine points.

Early on, Washington built a 19-point first-half lead, 39-20, despite LSU's 48-percent effort (15 of 31) from the field.

The Huskies took advantage of eight Tigers turnovers and 12 fouls to open the big lead.

Temple, LSU's defensive stopper, was sent to the bench with three fouls after nine minutes. Davis had two yet played 16 minutes of the first half.

Spencer and Brockman were unstoppable in the post, combining for 12-of-18 shooting for 28 points and 14 rebounds -- nine on the offensive end. Outside of this duo, Washington made only 7 of 18 shots.

Mitchell led LSU with 13 points on 6-of-11 shooting in the first half.

LSU trailed, 50-36, at the break.

A three-pointer by Temple -- his first basket -- cut the Huskies lead to 11, 52-41 early in the second half.

However, after LSU head coach John Brady was charged with a technical foul for arguing a no-call, Washington went on an 11-5 run to extend its lead back to 17, 63-46.

LSU again scratched within 11, 64-53, after a coast-to-coast dunk by Temple. But Washington answered with nine straight to stop the Tigers in their tracks and put the game away with 12 minutes left.

LSU returns to action on Saturday when Louisiana Tech visits the Maravich Center for a 3 p.m. matchup.

Tiger Blitz Top Stories