The win increased LSU's (21-3, 10-0 SEC) lead in the Southeastern Conference to 1.5 games over the Lady Vols (22-2, 8-1 SEC).
"This LSU showed a lot of character tonight," LSU head coach Van Chancellor said. "To be able to come back like they did tonight show what this team is made of. I am so happy for this group of seniors."
LSU's senior class improved to 4-0 in Thompson-Boling Arena.
It was at that point that LSU began its own 21-2 run that allowed the Lady Tigers to take a 30-29 lead with 1:36 remaining in the first half. LSU closed that run with a 13-0 run that included two three-pointers by Allison Hightower and one by Quianna Chaney.
Sylvia Fowles' put back with 1:36 remaining gave LSU it's only lead of the half.
UT closed the half by scoring the final three points to take a 33-30 lead into the locker room.
LSU then scored five of the first six points of the second half to retake the lead, 35-34. The game when back and forth for the next two minutes before LSU took the lead for good, 39-38, on a Hightower lay-up with 14:01 left in the game.
The Lady Tigers outscored
Fowles led six LSU players in double figures with 17 points and added 14 rebounds. Erica White scored 16 points, including 11 from the free throw line, Chaney had 14, RaShonta Leblanc added 11, while Hightower and Ashley Thomas each had 10 points.
Defense kept LSU in the game during the first half and helped extend the lead in the second half.
The Lady Tigers forced 11 turnovers in the first half and collected eight steals that led to 13 points. LSU forced 19 Lady Vols turnovers for the game and collected 15 steals. The Lady Tigers scored 25 points off turnovers.
LSU shot 46.4 percent from the floor in the game, including 60.0 percent (15-25) in the second half.
LSU returns home to host Ole Miss on Sunday at 2 p.m. CST for the first of a four-game home stand in the
- Sylvia Fowles became the fifth player in LSU history to reach 2,000 career points when she knocked down a free throw with 1:08 left to play in the game.
- Sylvia Fowles scored in double figures for the 20th game this season and the 111th game of her career with 17 points tonight.
- Fowles recorded her 13th double double of the season and the 75th of her career with 17 points and 14 rebounds tonight.
- Allison Hightower scored in double figures for the 11th game this season and the 16th game of her career with 10 points tonight.
- Quianna Chaney scored in double figures for the 21st game this season and the 60th game of her career with 14 points tonight.
- RaShonta LeBlanc scored in double figures for the sixth game this season and the 14th game of her career with 11 points tonight.
- Erica White scored in double figures for the fifth game this season and the 24th game of her career with 10 points tonight.
- Ashley Thomas scored in double figures for the fourth game this season and the 14th game of her career with 10 points tonight.
- LSU had six players score in double figures in a game for the first time in the program's career.
- The Lady Tigers defeated No. 1 for the second time in 12 tries.