The ground breaking took part on the North side of the Pete Maravich Assembly Center between the two existing ramps that will eventually be moved to make way for the building that will eventually connect on the North side of the Maravich Center.
The facility will be constructed by Guy Hopkins Construction of Baton Rouge based on designs by the firm of Tom Holden Architects of Baton Rouge in a unique joint venture with RDG Sports of Des Moines, Iowa.
“This basketball facility will offer our coaches and student-athletes the type of teaching and working environment that will be beneficial to both,” said LSU Associate Athletic Director of Operations and Project Development Eddie Nunez. “This facility will compete with everything in our conference and around the country as one of the best practice facilities that our basketball teams have the opportunity to use for years to come.”
Some points about the facility:
· The building design emulates the style and appearance of the original Maravich Assembly Center and occupies area not dedicated to any other future use. It will take the place of the two northern pedestrian ramps which will be demolished to accommodate this “infill” project.
· Total Project Area is 58,960 square feet of new construction and 1,100 square feet of renovated construction.
· Project Cost: $13,913,000 and construction is scheduled to be complete in October of next year (’09).
· The addition is located to the north side of the existing PMAC and connects at the lower and concourse level. Access to the new facility from the original facility is through a Hall of Champions.
· The addition features two practice gymnasiums, one for Men’s Basketball and one for Women’s Basketball.
· Each gym is 11,324 square feet in size and includes a regulation NCAA court in length with two regulation high school courts in the opposite direction.
· Each gym court is an exact replica of the PMAC competition court.
· Each gym has two portable goals and four overhead retractable goals.
· Each gym features a video filming balcony and scorer’s table with video and data connections to enable instant replay.
· Each gym can hold up to 800 people for special events.
· A central two story lobby and grand staircase ascends to the second level. The lobby showcases team banners, trophy cases and memorabilia from past seasons.
· Also included at the second level is a Pre-Function Room that opens to an extension of the Concourse and can hold approximately 500 people for pre-game and post-game functions.
· Other areas of the addition include a Press Room, Men’s Basketball Team Locker Room, Team Lounge, Training Room, Laundry, Coach’s Locker Room and Storage.