Jackson back from Baton Rouge

After committing to the Tigers last spring, Janzen Jackson took in a pair of official visits, with one more coming next week before signing day. Where does the Lake Charles-product stand with LSU after taking in Baton Rouge this past weekend?

"It was a blast," Jackson said. "I drove over by myself on Friday, and then my dad came over and met with me on Saturday, so me and him are driving back home now. It was a good time and all that, so I am headed home feeling pretty comfortable about things."


Jackson's process took a turn down the stretch after he announced he would me making his official visits to look into other schools.


Now, with the dust beginning to settle surrounding his recruitment, the 6-foot-1, 185-pound prospect looks back at where things began to be up in the air.


"To be honest, I started wavering a little bit whenever the defensive staff all took new jobs after the end of the season," Jackson said. "Coach [Bradley Dale] Peveto was recruiting me, and with him gone I started second guessing things. But the new staff was brought in and I really hit it off with them, so things were back right again."


One coach that helped reel the Barbe-standout back to the Tiger's corner was defensive backs' coach Ron Cooper, who was added to the staff after holding the same job at South Carolina.


"I guess you could say that Coach Cooper did a pretty good job bringing me back in," Jackson said. "They are all really good coaches and really nice guys, including coach [John] Chavis and coach [Brick] Haley. I like where they are going with the defense, for sure."


Outside of building on his relationship with the newest members of the Tiger staff, the 4-star was able to meet and relax with a couple of his future teammates.


"Chad Jones was my host, and it was my first time getting to meet him in person," Jackson said. "I obviously knew who he was, but getting to hang out with him and do things off the field was fun. I actually had just met his brother Rahim Alem at a little party in Lake Charles last weekend, so it was cool getting to kick it with Chad as well."


The two were able to kick back and enjoy the Tigers' basketball game against Xavier, though the outcome was not what Jackson was hoping for.


"The game was a lot of fun, and I actually thought for a minute that we were going to win," Jackson said. "It was still cool though, especially hanging with all the commitments and guys that were in town for the weekend. We all ate together at the football stadium and then walked across the street for the game, so it was a fun night."


After taking in the campus with his parents, Jackson said that there was little new to learn about the LSU program.


"It is funny because this was my official, but I already knew everything I needed to know," he said. "We just used it instead as an opportunity to get more familiar with the staff and players and things like that."


With signing day approaching, Jackson said that he is counting down the days until he can put his signature on the dotted line.


"I have one visit left, and I will be taking that to Alabama next weekend," he said. "I am so glad that it is almost over though, because it really starts to wear on you. The time can't come soon enough."


How does Jackson plan to let everyone know where he will spend his college years?


"I have a little thing set up at Barbe to announce my decision," he said. "The news and stuff is all set to come, so it will go down like that."


Should LSU fans feel good about his commitment holding up through signing day?


"I think I will be good to go after next weekend's visit, so I would not be too stressed," Jackson said. "I wouldn't lose sleep or anything like that."


Tiger Blitz Top Stories