Jones Recovering in New Orleans

While the images of Chad Jones' car accident early Friday morning shook the LSU faithful, the news out of New Orleans continues to be positive.

The images from New Orleans media outlets were almost too much to take in.

After his SUV struck a pole in a single-car accident around 6 a.m. on Carrolton Avenue near Toulouse Street, Chad Jones’ life changed forever. With the car mangled from the head-on collision, New Orleans EMS workers were forced to cut Jones out of his 2010 Range Rover.

While the two other passengers were released at the scene, Jones wouldn’t be so lucky.

With arteries and nerves in his left leg exposed, the former collegiate two-sport star went through seven-plus hours of surgery at the LSU Public Hospital. The biggest worry from surgeons became the lack of blood flow to the foot, but the word at day’s end was that the surgery was a success.

Three days later, Jones is awake and resting comfortably.

“Chad is extremely alert and he’s in good spirits,” said Al Jones, Sr. in a press release through LSU on Monday morning. “His leg and foot are looking better. This is going to be a long process but everything is positive right now. We are just beginning the healing process.”

Picked by the New York Giants during the third round of the 2010 NFL Draft and twice selected in the Major League Baseball Draft, Jones’ athletic future remains a conversation for another time and place.

Surrounded by family and friends, from former coaches to teammates, Jones sent a message to fans across the college football map.

“Chad wants everyone to know how much he appreciates the thoughts and the prayers,” Al Jones, Sr. said. “They are making a difference. It really means so much to him to have the support of the LSU fans and the entire community. The phone calls, e-mails and text messages have really helped lift his spirits.”

Fans that want to send Jones a get-well message can do so on the LSU Football Facebook page at

Tiger Blitz Top Stories