Floyd Raven went into LSU’s camp with the mentality of now or never. If he were ever going to stay home for college, this would be his opportunity. If it passed him, it was off to Oxford, Miss. or College Station, Texas.
The LSU staff had put together a talent-heavy group of defensive backs for their July camp, and Raven – a rising senior at East St. John in Reserve, La. – was certainly one of the headliners.
In the month prior Raven had torn apart summer camps at Ole Miss and Texas A&M. In awe of a 6-foot-2, 180-pound cornerback that could move like Raven, both programs offered on the spot.
“I had killed it at both camps and that had the coaches all over me by the time I left,” Raven said. “I just went into LSU thinking that it would happen again. Then when I couldn’t work out because of injury, (defensive backs) coach (Ron) Cooper decided that he needed a little more time. Pretty much all he was able to do was see me backpedal, because I had to hold off on one-on-one work.”
Confusion came when Raven told reporters that he had picked up an offer from coach Miles during their one-on-one meeting at the conclusion of his camp stay. Instead, the nation’s No. 36 ranked cornerback will have to wait until the fall when the Tiger staff can evaluate him at full strength.
“Coach Cooper had been telling me that I was likely looking at an offer sooner or later, and then coach Miles was showing me all kinds of love, so when I left his office I thought that they had decided to offer,” Raven said. “(East St. John) Coach (Larry) Dauterive talked to me about it though and everything is straightened out.
“LSU is going to come out and see me at the Jamboree. I’m going to be patient until then. I’ve had some people explain to me the recruitment process and how it works, because I didn’t really have a grip on it before. I was kind of upset that LSU didn’t offer because I know I could play there, but now I realize that the coaches over there need to see me healthy before they can make a big move like that.”
Raven, who had planned to announce his college decision in the next two weeks, will now delay the call until he finds out more about where the Tigers stand.
“There’s no need to rush it because I know that Ole Miss and Texas A&M both are going to be there for me,” Raven said. “I could also end up picking up some more offers, and that could lead to something. I’m just undecided right now when it comes to committing, so I’m going to put it off and just chill for a bit.”