Marquette falls in OT to Georgetown, 95-85

Saturday afternoon had everything at the BMO Harris Bradley Center, everything but a Marquette win. Matt Carlino hit a potential game-winning three with seconds to play, but upon further review, his foot was barely on the three point line. At the end of regulation, the Hoyas and the Golden Eagles were locked at 81

Overtime belonged to Georgetown after Duane Wilson missed his second foul shot that would have tied the game. For the remainder of the contest, the Hoyas showed their experience and took the victory by a score of 95-85.

Marquette got off to a hot start in the beginning of this one by shooting 75 percent from the field in the first five minutes. This passage of play was highlighted by Carlino scoring the team’s first 12 points of the game. The teams traded buckets until the nine-minute mark, when D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera nailed a transition three to give the Hoyas a 25-18 lead.

[Matt Carlino scored MU's first 12 pts on 4 threes before the first TV Timeout.]

For the next few minutes, the Hoyas played sloppily on both ends of the court and let Marquette back into the game. The Golden Eagles’ resurgence can be credited directly to Joshua Smith getting his second foul midway through the first stanza. With the big man out of the game, the Golden Eagles were able to force turnovers and grab boards on both sides. Carlino would make it a 33-31 game from the charity stripe with 4:13 to go in the first half.

[Luke Fischer struggled against the physical #24 Joshua Smith but still finished with 7 pts/4rebs/ 5 blocks in 33 min]

Georgetown would have an answer for every Marquette attack, as it remained a one or two possession game down the stretch. However, the Hoyas would take the momentum into the locker room. With 3.3 seconds to go, freshman Tre Campbell drove the length of the court to give the Hoyas a six-point advantage on a buzzer-beating floater. Georgetown led 45-39 at halftime.

Just 33 seconds into the half, Smith picked up his third foul and went back to the bench. On the afternoon, Marquette lived and died from behind the arc. Sophomore Duane Wilson narrowed the deficit to just three from long distance with 17:12 to go. 90 seconds prior to the trey the Hoyas were up by nine points.

The Golden Eagles and the Hoyas once again traded buckets for the next four minutes, until Smith made it a six-point game at the 13-minute mark. For the next four minutes Marquette got back in the game courtesy of strong perimeter shooting by Carlino and Duane Wilson. However, it was freshman Sandy Cohen who tied the game at 66 with 9:15 left.

[Freshman #1 Duane Wilson had 26 pts [6-8 from 3]. Here his lean in three pointer keyed MU's 2H comeback.]

The next possession, Carlino gave Marquette their first lead since at the 12:14 mark in the first half. Neither team was able to gain a substantial lead down the stretch, as the crowd rode the emotional roller coaster that was the last five minutes of this thriller.

After a pair of Georgetown free throws, Duane Wilson tied it up at 74. The ensuing defensive possession, Wilson read the offense perfectly and stole the rock. He drove the length of the floor, and Fischer tapped it in to give Golden Eagles the lead.

Georgetown would score the next four points to earn a 79-76 advantage. But Duane Wilson was not going to be denied Saturday afternoon, as the guard hit an off-balance three to tie the game once again at 79.

After Smith hit two from the line, the Hoyas had an 81-79 lead with five seconds remaining. Derrick Wilson inbounded to Carlino, who already had over 20 points. As the clock ticked down, Carlino passed midcourt. With 1.7 seconds remaining Carlino threw up a contested shot from behind the arc. The miraculous shot found the bottom of the basket to give the Golden Eagles an 82-81 lead with 0.9 seconds to go.

Upon further review, it was ruled that Carlino’s foot was on the line, making it a two- point bucket, game-tying shot, rather than a game-winner. Georgetown would turn it over on the ensuing inbound play, and it was 81 all at the end of regulation.

After trading foul shots, Duane Wilson drained one from distance to give Marquette a two-point advantage. The Golden Eagles would tally one more point the rest of the way, as missed shots and a lack of interior presence, due to Fischer’s absence, cost them down the stretch. The small contingent of Georgetown faithful in the upper tier of the Bradley Center were in full voice as the time ticked down, and the Hoyas came away with the 95-85 victory in Milwaukee.

[#13 Carlino had 26 pts on 8-16FGA, 4 Rebs, 4 assists, 2 Steals]

Carlino and Wilson both finished with 26 points to lead all scorers. Smith finished his night with a double-double on 18 point and 15 rebounds. Smith’s 15 rebounds doubled the total of any Marquette player on the afternoon. Smith-Rivera finished with 19 points, while freshmen Isaac Copeland and Tre Campbell scored 17 and 14 respectively.

[John Thompson III mentioned that MU's 2-3 match up zone had improved since their last game three weeks ago in Wash DC.]

Marquette looks to get back on track, when the 24th ranked Seton Hall Pirates come to the BMO Harris Bradley Center on Wednesday night.

Marquette Hoops Top Stories