Seton Hall 80 Marquette 70

It was a night to forget for the Golden Eagles, Wednesday at the BMO Harris Bradley Center. The night began with a lot of promise, but that promise did not return when the Golden Eagles took the court after halftime. The Seton Hall Pirates began the second half on a 28-8 run, and held a 24 point lead by the second media timeout.

Marquette would fight back the rest of the way to drop the decision by a generous 80 to 70 score line.

“We have to do most things right to have a chance to win,” said head coach Steve Wociechowski. “Tonight we faced a team that played a great game and we didn’t do most things right.”

Derrick Wilson

The night started with Seton Hall scoring five answered points before Juan Anderson scored Marquette’s first bucket of the contest. After a Khadeen Carrington three, Derrick Wilson drove the lane to make it an 8-4 game. Matt Carlino and Derrick Wilson would score on back-to-back possessions to give Marquette their first lead of the evening. That lead would only last for a few seconds, as Seton Hall would answer at the other end.

For the next few possessions, the lead would go back and worth until the Pirates took the lead with a little under seven minutes to go in the half. Carlino would tie it up from behind the arc, but Seton Hall would have an answer and would keep Marquette at arms length for the rest of the half. The Pirates would take a 32-28 advantage into the locker room.

The combination of missed shots and turnovers played a big part in Marquette falling behind in the early stages of the second half. With 18:44 to go, Sterling Gibbs made a jumper to extend the lead the Seton Hall lead to seven. Fischer and Carlino would turnover the basketball on consecutive possession, and the Pirates would cash in to push the lead to 12. Seton Hall would double their 12 point lead with just under 13 minutes to play courtesy of Gibbs.

“I think we got knocked back by their shooting to be quite honest with you,” said Wojciechowski. “On the year they’ve been a 27 percent shooting team in Big East play and obviously they weren’t tonight.”

The second half was the Sterling Gibbs show, as the junior scored 19 of his game-high 24 points to lead all scorers. 16 of his 19-second half points were all scored in the first seven minutes of the final stanza.

Marquette would claw back into the contest, but never got within striking distance in the second half. As the Golden Eagles faithful headed for the exits early, the team continued to fight back. With a mostly empty arena, the clock hit zero making the inevitable, official. The Seton Hall Pirates defeated the Marquette Golden Eagles by a score of 80 to 70.

“We could always say ‘oh we’ll get the next one’ but when are we going to stop losing,” questioned forward Juan Anderson. “But we’ve been saying that since Xavier. We have to do something about it.”

Wednesday night was the first time that Seton Hall has ever won in Milwaukee, and only their third ever victory over the Golden Eagles.

With the loss, Marquette falls to 10-10 on the season, and 2-6 in Big East play.

“There’s a lot of basketball to be played,” said Anderson. “We’re a team capable of running off five or six (wins) in a row.”

Sandy Cohen's three helped MU comeback but the deficit was too large

Marquette looks to get above .500 when the Butler Bulldogs come to the BMO Harris Bradley Center on Saturday at 1pm.

Marquette Hoops Top Stories