Floyd Staying Loose

2012 wide receiver prospect can play either side of the ball. Where do the hometown Terps fit in?

All too often the pressure of being a highly recruited athlete gets into the head of a young man or woman. It can consume their thoughts and the pressure can overtake their personality so that they become strictly business. This is not the case with Loyola High (Baltimore, MD) star WR, Jordan Floyd. “I'm a really loose player,” said Floyd. “I'm always the one cracking jokes because I just can't get nervous or tight. It's not me.”

Floyd's game on the field however, is certainly no joke. Standing at 6-foot-3 and weighing 210 pounds, Floyd is a force to be reckoned with. Possessing a 30-inch vertical and a 4.5 40-yard dash time, he creates matchup nightmares for opposing DB's. “I think my biggest strength on the field is the combination of my size and my speed. I am able to get off the ball very quickly,” said Floyd.

After posting 12 touchdowns with 700 yards and 40 receptions this past season, Floyd has caught the eye of a number of big time football programs. Among those interested are Maryland, UCONN, WVU, Cincinnati, Boston College, Temple, Rutgers and Virginia. Floyd currently holds offers from Maryland, UCONN and Temple, but all signs are pointing towards more big offers to come.

Although Floyd stars on offense at Loyola, he claims that the majority of colleges are recruiting him to play on the other side of the ball at the next level. “Maryland and UCONN are recruiting me as a safety, but Temple is recruiting me as a receiver,” said Floyd, who claims that about 75% of his schools interested are looking at him as a safety while the other 25% are recruiting him as a receiver.

Entering his final season of high school, Floyd has been quite busy over the summer, attending workouts 4 times per week since the beginning of June, as well as attending camps at Maryland, Temple and West Virginia. But for right now, he is focused on the final season that lies ahead. “I'm looking forward to taking on a leadership role this season. I've been a part of the team since I was a sophomore and I'm ready to lead this team and get us back on the winning side of things,” said Floyd.

Maryland, Floyd's hometown school, was the first to offer him a scholarship, back in early September of his junior season. At the time, the program was under the control of now ex-Coach Ralph Friedgen, and Floyd's primary recruiter was ex-defensive coordinator Don Brown. Brown, who is now Floyd's primary recruiter at UCONN, established a very “open” relationship with the local prospect during his time at Maryland. “Coach Brown and I would talk about anything, not just football. We took the time to get to know each other as people,” said Floyd.

Now that Edsall and Co. has taken over the Terps program, Floyd has noticed that their style of recruitment has changed a tad. “Coach Edsall is very methodical and not to knock on the previous coaches but it seems like the program is more organized than in the past,” he remarked.

Although Floyd has stated recently that UCONN is tops on his list, he has put the Terps at a close second and is by no means counting them out. “I've started to develop a good relationship with the coaches there,” he said. “Coach Dudzinski and I talk about every two weeks, about football, positions, family and a few other things,” said Floyd.

Floyd has been to College Park three times in the past year: twice for games and once this summer to attend a prospect camp. At the camp, Floyd was able to speak briefly with Coach Bradford, Coach Dudzinski and Coach Edsall about where he was in terms of his game and his thoughts on Maryland's program. “I really like that Maryland is close to home and that my family could easily come see me play but I also like Coach Edsall's approach to the game. He's the type of guy that tells it to you straight and I like that.”

Floyd, who is expecting more offers to come, is hoping to make his college decision sometime during the middle of the season.

TerrapinTimes Top Stories