Courtesy of Maryland Athletic Department
COLLEGE PARK, Md. - The Maryland men's lacrosse team is the No. 6 seed in the 2013 NCAA men's lacrosse tournament and will play host to Cornell on Sunday, May 12. Faceoff is set for 1 p.m. at Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium, as the Terps (10-3) battle the Big Red (12-3) for the first time since 2000.
• The game will be broadcast live on ESPN2, as well as streamed on wireless devices with the WatchESPN app. Eamon McAnaney will provide the play-by-play, while the analysis will come from Paul Carcaterra.
• The Terps, who received an at-large bid, are making their 36th NCAA Tournament appearance, the second most of any school in NCAA history, while Cornell, which earned an at-large bid out of the Ivy League, is making its 25th appearance in the NCAA tournament.
• The winner of the Maryland/Cornell game will take on the winner of the No. 3 seed Ohio State (12-3)/Towson (10-7) game on Saturday, May 18 at Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium. The Buckeyes and Tigers play in Columbus, Ohio on Sunday, May 12 at 3 p.m.
• Maryland finished the regular season with a 10-3 mark following its 18-6 victory over Colgate. Senior Kevin Cooper leads the Terps in points and assists with 40 and 21, respectively. Junior Mike Chanenchuk took over the team lead in goals with his three vs. Colgate and now has 22 for the season. Four other Terps have scored double-digit goals. Senior Owen Blye has 21, sophomore Jay Carlson has 20, while Jake Bernhardt and John Haus have 16 apiece. Defensively, junior Niko Amato has stopped 61.2 percent of the shots put on goal by opponents, which is second among starting goalies in the NCAA tournament field, and has a 7.42 goals-against average, which is third-best in the tournament field. Sophomore faceoff man Charlie Raffa leads the team with 72 groundballs, while senior Jesse Bernhardt leads the team with 20 caused turnovers.
• The Big Red come into the 2013 tournament with an overall mark of 12-3 after dropping a 13-12 decision in overtime to Princeton in the Ivy League semifinals on May 2. Senior attackman Rob Pannell, who was the 2011 Tewaaraton Award winner, leads Cornell with 80 points on 36 goals and a team-best 44 assists. Senior attackman Steve Mock has a team-best 48 goals to go along with nine assists. The Raiders main man at the faceoff X is junior Doug Tesoriero, who is winning .586 percent of his draw this season with a team-best 99 groundballs. Senior goalie AJ Fiore has started all 15 games for the Big Red and has a 8.69 goals-against average this season.
Terps Face Cornell in First Round
TerrapinTimes Top Stories
Live Evaluation & Interview:Tayon Fleet-DavisCAPITOL HEIGHTS, Md. -- Potomac (Oxon Hill, Md.) traveled to Fairmont Heights (Capitol Heights, Md.) Sept. 24 for a Prince George’s County matchup. Terrapin Times was on hand to…
TerrapinTimesYesterday at 11:00 PM
Coaches Poll: Week 5Top 3 remains the same, Wisconsin jumps into top 10 after over Michigan State.
ScoutYesterday at 10:30 AM
TE Williams Dubs UM 'Team To Beat' Post VisitOWINGS MILLS, Md. – McDonogh (Owings Mills, Md.) hosted Canada Prep (St. Catharines, Ontario) Sept. 24. Terrapin Times was on hand to scout and interview Canada Prep tight end…
TerrapinTimesSaturday at 12:01 PM
Live Evaluation & Interview: Fofie BazzieCLARKSBURG, Md. -- Quince Orchard (North Potomac, Md.) cornerback Fofie Bazzie committed to Maryland April 3, and on Sept. 23 he and his teammates traveled to Clarksburg for a…
TerrapinTimesFriday at 11:44 PM