- On the defensive line, Coach Friedgen has really been impressed by Joe Vellano, but is worried that it's hard to tell because he's not happy with his offensive guard play - "He's playing very well, he's playing low, he's playing very quick, he makes a lot of plays."
- Sophomore defensive lineman Masengo Kabongo strained his pec while doing dips, but is only expected to miss one week.
- Sophomore linebacker Avery Murray pulled a muscle, but Friedgen did not sound concerned. He said he's going to try and put Murray and junior Ben Pooler at middle linebacker to back up Alex Wujciak.
- Friedgen noted the logjam at strong side linebacker, with senior Adrian Moten, sophomore Darin Drakeford, and true freshman David Mackall, who continues to impress in spring practice. "With Mackall playing the way he keeps playing, we've got to find ways to get him on the field," Friedgen said. When asked which former Terp Mackall reminds him of most, Friedgen responded with current NFL star Shawne Merriman. "He reminds me of Merriman, he plays like that. In fact, he's probably a little ahead of where Merriman was at this stage, but he's that type of player, very explosive."
- Friedgen also said that he was happy with the progression of his cornerbacks. The battle between Trenton Hughes and Dexter McDougle hasn't been solved yet, but another name has been playing really well. "I think Michael Carter's playing the best he's ever played, and that's got to continue."
- The coach has also been impressed with the athleticism of Travis Hawkins, but says he has more work to do with his fundamentals. Kenny Tate continues to impress.
- Some of the freshman that will enroll next fall are expected to get playing time early in the secondary. Friedgen pointed to Titus Till, Desmond Kearse, and Matt Robinson as guys who can make an impact on defense immediately.
4/1 Spring Practice Recap
TerrapinTimes Top Stories
Updated Scout 300 Trend Meter For 2017It is less than two weeks to signing day and the updated Scout 300 Trend Meter for the 2017 class takes a look at which schools are trending for each uncommitted member in the…
Scout FootballYesterday at 5:46 PM
South's No. 30 Safety Rates USF Visit a '10'Naytron Culpepper, the 30th-ranked safety in the South, says Charlie Strong and South Florida knocked it out of the park during his official visit.
Scout FootballYesterday at 4:42 PM
Q&A wth 2018 wing Sid WilsonWhat's the latest on Sid Wilson, Scout's No. 48 recruit in the 2018 class? Here's a Q&A with the talented wing out of Wolfeboro (N.H.) Brewster Academy.
Scout HoopsYesterday at 4:23 PM
Terps Offer Impresses Jersey DELancine Turay (Irvington, N.J.) figures to be one of the most sought-after defensive line prospects in Jersey for the 2018 class, and the 6-foot-6, 240-pounder recently landed his…
TerrapinTimesYesterday at 11:11 AM
Scout's Top 25 Recruitng ClassesA look at Scout's top 25 classes with just over a week to go to Signing Day.
Scout FootballSaturday at 9:02 AM