- Coach Friedgen continues to rave about the performance of defensive tackle Joe Vellano, who he calls the "most improved player" on the Terps' defense. "He continues to make a lot of plays, he's been very productive. What I'm hoping is that he gains a lot of confidence from how he's playing right now, because every time I look up he's in on a play. His effort day in and day out, period in and period out, is far superior to anyone else out there, he's played very, very well."
- Friedgen said the most consistent linebacker for the Terps so far has been Demetrius Hartsfield, although Ben Pooler has "played pretty well too." The coach said they are trying to teach Pooler and Avery Murray both the middle and weak side linebacker positions.
- The Terps think they have found a place for budding freshman David Mackall to play on defense, but it is not yet a constant position. "He continues to fly to the ball, he's learning. We think we have a place to play him where we can just let him run to the ball, but that will be in certain personnel groups. He's going to be a good player, he's just got to learn right now."
- Friedgen has noticed improvement in the play of the young members of the secondary, and expects them to contribute to the Terps' defense this season. "The guy that I think is gonna be a pretty good player is Avery Graham, he's just a young kid, but his effort is pretty good too and he can really run, in fact, he closed on Da'Rel [Scott] on a long run. I think we've got some young kids that, in time, will be good for us. We've got Graham, we've got Franklin, who's basically a freshman, we've got Hawkins. We've got a young secondary, but I think we've got a chance to be good. Trenton Hughes is much improved, I like the two young kids – Avery Graham and Dexter McDougle – I think they're definitely going to play a lot this year."
- Mackall suffered a concussion during practice today and isn't expected to play during Saturday's scrimmage, but Friedgen doesn't think it is too serious.
- Defensive end Drew Gloster has also impressed Friedgen, who said it has been the "most consistent [Gloster] has played since he's been here."
Spring Practice – 4/13 and 4/15
TerrapinTimes Top Stories
Soph. G Bishop May Be 'Next Big Thing' at MSJBALTIMORE, Md. -- Sophomore guard James Bishop is emerging at MSJ.
Brooks, Ukandu Address State Of 'D', ProgressCOLLEGE PARK, Md. -- Maryland linebacker Jalen Brooks and defensive lineman Azubuike Ukandu talked to the media Oct. 19.
TTDave's Inside The ShellWelcome to our next edition of Inside the Shell, the weekly Maryland football-recruiting roundup.
TerrapinTimesYesterday at 11:45 PM
Scoutcast: MSU vs Maryland listen now!Scout publishers Hondo Carpenter (Spartan Nation) and Dave Lomonico (Terrapin Times) get together to look at the Michigan State vs. Maryland game this weekend!
Spartan NationYesterday at 6:21 PM
ACC, Big Ten after 2018 OT EdwardsSOUTH VIEW, N.C. -- Mike Edwards' recruitment is gaining momentum and the 2018 offensive tackle gave Scout the latest.
Scout FootballYesterday at 1:18 PM