* The Hurricanes added a commitment from Austin Barton on Tuesday. At 6-foot-3 and 195 pounds, Barton was recruited to replace Dalton Botts as the team's punter. It's a major plus for Miami to get Barton as a walkon. He's a Division 1 caliber punter but that position is tough to get a scholarship at right out of high school. Botts got once since he was a Juco transfer. Barton will likely earn one after his first season. He's a very good prospect, so don't let the walkon status fool you.
* 5-star RB Alex Collins received an in-home visit from four Arkansas coaches on Tuesday night, including their head coach. As strong as they've come on in recent weeks, they still weren't in the picture for the longest time (until the new staff arrived). That will play a role for Collins, who was committed to Miami for several months. In terms of relationships, Arkansas is every bit as good as Miami to him (from when they were at Wisconsin). However, Miami's recruited him a lot longer than Arkansas. He will announce his final choice Monday night.
* Regardless of what happens with Collins, the Canes are recruiting Gus Edwards from New York. He's a player they offered back in the spring and they continued recruiting him. It's paying off. He received a visit from Al Golden, James Coley, and Terry Richardson earlier this week. It's interesting to note that Florida State, Miami's main competition, hasn't been recruiting him as long. Plus, Coley was his primary recruiter there. The Canes will have a good chance to turn him on his visit here this weekend. Even if the Canes land Collins, they lack depth at running back so getting an inside bruiser (like Edwards) would be a great compliment to the explosive Collins.
* 4-star DT Keith Bryant says he knows where he's going already. It's down to Miami, FSU, and South Carolina. All three of those head coaches will be visiting with him this week. Miami's Al Golden gets the last crack on Friday. That shows the Canes are still trying to get him into this year's class. FSU remains the top competition.
* WR Tyree Harris, a 3-star Wake Forest commitment from Georgia, says the Canes offered a few days ago. While they may be interested in him, I hear that the interest in Harris isn't quite as strong as some may believe. Whether Miami lands Stacy Coley or not, don't expect Harris in this year's class, even if he wants to be. Another WR prospect could be emerging in the next couple days though so stay tuned.