* Defensive tackle is a position of need for the Hurricanes in the 2014 class, and one of the best players at that position in South Florida is St. Thomas Aquinas standout Anthony Moten. At 6-foot-4 and 280 pounds, Moten landed an early offer from the Hurricanes. Unfortunately for them, he never showed serious interest and committed to his dream school, Florida, last night. Miami will likely still recruit him but it's going to be hard for anyone to wrestle him away from UF's commitment list. Khairi Clark, a five star locally, remains a major target for Miami in south Florida. Tre Valentine and Adam Torres are two high profile defensive tackle prospects in central Florida who have offers from the Canes and have taken visits here recently so they're two players to keep a close eye on as well.
* Speaking of defensive tackles, one of the top prospects in the Northeast region this year at the position is New York's Thomas Holley. The Canes have been very active in recruiting the NY/NJ areas since Al Golden arrived here, and Holley is a premier prospect from up there. He landed an offer from the Hurricanes very early in the process, and has expressed some early interest. He told Scout that he plans to take an unofficial visit to the school in about two weeks so that's when we'll learn a lot more about how serious he is about Miami. The fact that he's taking the visit indicates the Canes are definitely in the mix here in the early stages.
* Ravian Pierce is one of the top tight end prospects in the entire state of Florida and he told Scout today that Miami's one of the top schools on his list. At 6-foot-3 and 215 pounds, he's a pass-catching specialist from Plantation High and landed an offer from the Hurricanes very early in the process. He says he's developed a good relationship with UM coach Mark D'Onofrio. He's the tight end being most heavily recruited inside the state, and someone the Canes seem to be making a priority already in the 2014 class. Miami is very much in the thick of that race.
* Devante Lambert told Scout yesterday that Miami gave him a scholarship offer. At 6-foot-3 and 255 pounds, he's a Junior College defensive end prospect from the state of Georgia. He''s a very talented pass rusher who is starting to collect a lot of major offers. He's a December graduate and is someone to keep an eye on from the Juco ranks.
* Michael Smith told Scout today that the Hurricanes just gave him a scholarship offer. At 6-foot-3 and 225 pounds, Smith is a very skilled pass rusher from Miami Northwestern High. He's one of the most talented pass rushers in south Florida in the 2014 class. He has the athletic ability to play outside linebacker but the height and pass rushing skills to play with his hand on the ground. He reminds a lot of people of Tyriq McCord. He's someone with a lot of early interest in Miami, and someone to definitely keep an eye on locally. He's good friends and teammates with FSU commit JoJo Robinson, who was offered by Miami recently and has a lot of interest in the Canes.