McDougle doing fine

As of Wednesday afternoon, University of Miami defensive end Jerome McDougle was 'resting comfortably' and recovering at HealthSouth Doctors' Hospital in Coral Gables after collapsing at the end of practice Tuesday morning at Greentree Field. McDougle was being kept in the hospital for further testing and was hopeful to be released today.

"I went to see Jerome at the hospital last night and he's doing fine," said Miami head coach Larry Coker, at the conclusion of Wednesday morning's two-hour practice in muggy conditions at Greentree Field. "They're still evaluating some test. They've run all sorts of test and I don't know if they're complete yet. He's very hopeful that he will be out of the hospital soon and it looks good along those lines."

McDougle, a 6-4, 270 pounder, passed out as he started stretching with the rest of the defensive unit. UM trainers responsed right away in assisting McDougle, before he was transported by the Coral Gables Fire Rescue to the hospital. The reverse defensive end was on the field for about 10 minutes until he was taken to the hospital.

A UM official said that McDougle told junior linebacker Ken Dangerfield and Andrew Swasey, the team's head strength and conditioning coach, that he felt 'kind of tired' shortly before passing out. McDougle's body temperature was reportedly at 99.9 when he arrived at the hospital.

Dr. John Uribe, the Hurricanes physician, performed numerous tests on McDougle, including a CAT scan for the brain and cardiac exams to determine any heart-related problems. Although the cause was not determined, Uribe ruled out it being heat-related.

"Jerome is a warrior and he'll be back," said Miami head coach Larry Coker in a released statement. "He was in good sprits-up and cracking jokes with some of the guys."

Coker said that McDougle just became "overheated", although he did not lost consciousness and was alert. Coker praised the trainers for their handling of the situation.

"Our trainers (Scott McGonagle and Scott Bruce) did a good job. They cooled him down and the vital signs were good," said Coker. However Uribe said the 270-pounder had fainted. Uribe said McDougle would be a able to return to the team several days after being released from the hospital. Uribe said that McDougle informed him of a similar situation happening in junior college.

Uribe said that McDougle told him that he has had a history of similar episodes during junior college.

Officials reached at Hinds Community College in Raymond, Mississippi, where McDougle played in 1999 were unaware of any medical problems with him. Gene Murphy, the head coach at Hinds, said that McDougle had never fainted or passed out while at the school. Chuck Broyles, who coached McDougle at Division II Pittsburg State, didn't have "any problems" in the one season he was there.

"I would have known if he had passed out," said Murphy.

It was earlier this week that McDougle had to received fluids intravenously due to his cramping. The doctors also said that two incidents were not related.

Asked about the possibility of McDougle taking any dietary supplements that might have affected his condition, Coker said he wasn't aware of anything like that.

"All of our players are tested for any illegal substances and anything that is banned by the NCAA, said Coker. "Naturally we can get strong enough and good enough that we don't need that stuff. We're very sensitive to that kind of stuff and are certainly on top of that sort of thing."

"He could be back in a couple days, but in light of the recent tragedies we're going to use extreme caution with Jerome and make sure he's fine before getting him back out here."

Miami completed a two-hour practice in muggy conditions on Wednesday morning, before having their first scrimmage of the fall during the afternoon. Despite the recent rash of injuries the Hurricanes have suffered along the defensive-line, Coker praised John Square , Matt Walters and Andrew Williams for the job they have been doing.

"The key is keeping the guys we do have healthy," Coker said. "Johnny (Square) and some of other guys have really been putiing in extra work so we want to kind of ease it up on them a bit-staying healthy is important."

Coker said that senior defensive end Cornelius Green (turf toe) had no fractures and 'hopefully' could be back tomorrow. Jamaal Green (knee) is still out after having an MRI done several days ago. Coker could rejoin the team by the end of the week, but didn't know for 'sure'.

If the season started today, as opposed to several weeks from against Penn State, junior Andrew Williams and redshirt freshman John Square would most likely start. Walters and junior defensive tackle William Joseph would occupy the middle of the defensive front-line.

The Hurricanes are scheduled to practice at 3:30 p.m. this afternoon at Greentree Field.


After a slow start during the first day of full pads, the Hurricanes defensive unit has bounced back with a strong effort in the last couple of practices. Coker was all smiles in his praise of the defense, after Tuesday's second practice session.

"The defense has really cranked it up and is really enjoying themselves out there," said Coker. "It was great to see guys bouncing around and making plays out there. It was fun to watch."

Sophomore linebackers Jarrell Weaver and D. J. Williams both looked impressive in getting to the quarterback during one-on-one drills on Tuesday. Williams received approval from the crowd in attendance after beat tight end Jeremy Shockey with a swipe move on his way to the quarterback.

Jason Geathers, Andre Johnson, Ethnic Sands and Daryl Jones continue to show improvement during passing drills. Although they have been alternating plenty during practice, linebackers Chris Campbell, Howard Clark and D. J. Williams are getting most of the reps with the first-team.


Defensive end Jamaal Green (knee), defensive back Mike Rumph (pulled groin) and Clinton Portis (flu) all missed practice on Tuesday. Coker said Portis, who did not practice on Monday, reached a temperature of 104 and was unable to hold anything in his stomach. Coker hasn't been informed of the results of the MRI taken on Green's knee, while Rumph is expected to miss a few more practices.

Canes Time Top Stories