* Brandon Powell flipped his commitment from Miami to Florida today, and is now enrolled at UF for the spring semester. At 5-foot-9 and 170 pounds, Powell is a 3-star RB prospect from Deerfield beach High. He was the Offensive Player of the Year in Broward County this season after rushing for 1,339 yards and 20 touchdowns. Powell committed to Tennessee over the summer but switched his pledge to Miami after the Canes offered him a short time later. He still took visits to West Virginia and Nebraska so his commitment was never rock solid. With Powell now a Gator, the Canes are down to one RB commitment (Joseph Yearby). They have been targeting two (or three if they were able to flip someone like Dalvin Cook or Sony Michel) all year, so expect some new names to emerge at the position. Some players to keep an eye on here are Jeff Jones (Minnesota commitment) and Daniel Gresham (Louisville commitment). Jones was scheduled to visit Florida later this month, which makes you wonder what Powell's addition will do to their numbers. Gresham was offered by Miami back in the spring.
* The Hurricanes have four wide receiver commitments right now and they may be real close to adding a 5th. "Time is winding down and I will be in Miami sometime this month," is what Derrick Griffin said today. At 6-foot-5 and 215 pounds, Griffin is a 4-star WR prospect from Texas who signed with the Hurricanes in the Class of 2013. He didn't get the necessary test scores to enroll last fall so he's trying to gain admission for the spring semester. It remains a strong possibility that he'll be here later this month, and his addition to the class would be huge.
* Travonte Valentine also de-committed from Miami earlier this week but he still remains a possibility for the Hurricanes. Miami is still actively recruiting the 4-star DT prospect. A one-time Florida and Louisville commitment, Valentine plans to visit LSU and possibly Kentucky later this month. He will also likely take a visit to Miami. While it's not common that a player de-commits from a school and then re-commits a few weeks later, Valentine is still in play for the Canes.
* Nigel Bethel flipped his commitment from Miami to Texas Tech last night. The 3-star cornerback prospect from Booker T Washington High is one of the top cover guys in the Miami area. He prefers playing on an island and has openly questioned Miami's defensive schemes in recent weeks. Even after his commitment to the Canes earlier this year Bethel took recruiting visits to Utah, Texas Tech, and West Virginia so you always wondered how strong his commitment really was. Don't expect the Canes to try changing his mind again down the stretch.
* Speaking of cornerbacks, the Canes now have zero commitments at the position. Because of that, recruiting cornerbacks will be a priority down the home stretch of recruiting. The biggest target there remains Immokalee 4-star J.C. Jackson. A one-time FSU and current Florida commit, Jackson visited Miami last month and has been very quiet with regards to the whole recruiting process lately. He's a huge priority for the Canes, and UM will likely make an all out effort to sign him over the next few weeks.
* Unfortunately for the Canes, one of the top DB prospects in South Florida for the 2015 class committed to Florida State last night. Miramar (4 current Canes played there) High cornerback Tyrek Cole picked the Noles over Miami and several others last night. At 5-foot-10, Cole is an elite cover guy who was already being recruited nationally. Expect Miami, and a lot of other schools, to continue recruiting Cole despite his early pledge. We've seen how often top prospects flip their commitments late in the process so don't cross him off the 2015 list just yet.