* The Hurricanes currently have seven offensive linemen committed in the 2015 class. They're not done yet. One of the key targets remaining is New Smyrna Beach standout Jalen Merrick. At 6-foot-4 and 320 pounds, Merrick has cut his list down to Florida and Miami. He's been to both schools several times and plans on returning to Miami for an unofficial visit during the North Carolina weekend. Miami will then get him back for an official later in the year. It'll be another chance for the UM coaches to impress Merrick. This one could go either way at this point and he's someone we'll continue keeping a close eye on. He was more heavily recruited nationally than any of Miami's current O-Line commitments.
* Miami has just six commitments on the defensive side of the ball. That number was seven until Junior College defensive end Claude George backed off his commitment last week. At 6-foot-3 and 230 pounds, George is a hybrid DE/OLB who would have played the same position that guys like Tyriq McCord and Trent Harris are playing now. He's not that caliber of athlete or pass rusher but he was a kid Miami wanted when they took his commitment over the summer. It's unclear now whether the Canes will go back into the Juco ranks for a replacement but it will likely force them to add another player at that position to this class.
* Five-star linebacker John Houston has scheduled an official visit to Miami for December. The California standout has always had some interest in the Canes and Miami's been recruiting him since day one. He's already visited Oregon and also has Oklahoma scheduled. It remains unclear what Miami's chances are since he's never been here before but we should know a lot more after that visit. Getting a 5-star linebacker on campus for a visit is huge for Miami though so we'll keep a close eye on this one.
* Florida State had a major recruiting weekend for when they beat Notre Dame last Saturday. Two of the top prospects there are currently committed to Miami -- 2015 running back Jordan Scarlett and 2016 wide receiver Sam Bruce. The two St. Thomas Aquinas standouts are very good friends and have traveled a lot together. Scarlett has also taken an official visit to Wisconsin but he remains solidly committed to the Canes. Bruce grew up with lots of interest in Florida State and many expected him to pick the Noles when he announced for Miami. It's still very early but this one is far from over and Miami will have to work hard to keep him away from the Noles.
* Scott Patcha is a four-star defensive end prospect who committed to the Hurricanes earlier this year. The IMG Academy standout tore his ACL in the season opener but told Scout this past week that his rehab is going great and that he plans to be ready for spring football at Miami. While that remains unclear, he is expected to graduate in December and be enrolled at Miami for the spring semester. At 6-foot-5 and 240 pounds now, Patchan is not considering any other schools, plans to take his official here in December, and has a good chance of being in the D-Line rotation in 2015. He plans to unofficially visit Miami for the FSU game.
* The latest offer in the 2015 class went out to WR/CB Javarius Davis from Ed White High in Jacksonville. At 5-foot-9 and 175 pounds, he's a very athletic two-way player who is likely going to end up playing cornerback at the college level. A one-time North Carolina commit, Davis is wide open and is unsure of his official visit plans at this time. Miami's often struggled recruiting the Jacksonville area but -- like Darrion Owens last year -- Davis isn't being recruited by schools like FSU and Florida so landing him will be a bit less difficult for the Canes. He's a player to keep an eye on in the coming weeks, especially since the Canes don't have a single cornerback committed right now in the 2015 class.