* The fall semester is over for high school players. The Hurricanes have six commitments from players who are expected to begin school next month. UM's spring semester begins January 12. RB Dexter Williams, TE Jerome Washington, OL Jahair Jones, DE Scott Patchan, LB Charles Perry, and S Jaquan Johnson are those who should join the team next month as mid-year guys.
* At least four key targets are expected to start college next month as well. Here's the breakdown:
LB Te'Von Coney -- The 4-star prospect from Palm Beach County made an early commitment to Notre Dame but the Hurricanes continued recruiting him. He even took an official visit here a couple weeks ago but then re-affirmed his pledge to the Irish. It appears that is where he's definitely going.
WR Da'vante Phillips -- The 4-star prospect from Miami Central High was once committed to Florida but then backed off that decision. Florida State has been considered the leader for awhile now. Miami has been actively recruiting him ever since and he took an official visit here a couple weeks ago. While he still maintains that Auburn, Florida, and Louisville are in the mix, this is a two-team race between the Canes and Noles. He's expected to announce for FSU next month at the Under Armour All-American Game.
OL Jalen Merrick -- The 4-star prospect has been a major target for Miami from day one. He's been to the school several times for unofficial visits but has not yet taken an official visit here. He has seen Florida State, Arkansas, LSU, and Wisconsin. While he appeared to be favoring the Canes at mid-season, Merrick now appears to be favoring Florida State. Miami's late season collapse hurt, although there's still a chance. He's expected to announce his final decision very soon.
DB Tim Irvin -- A 4-star prospect from Westminster Christian in Miami, Irvin has taken official visits to Miami, Texas, West Virginia, and Florida. He's set to announce his final decision at the US Army All-American Game in a couple weeks. All signs point to his decision being Miami.
* A lot of people are wondering whether a new quarterback prospect will emerge after the news of Dwayne Lawson's de-commitment from the Canes last week. While there are several QB prospects being evaluated by UM's staff, there haven't been any confirmed scholarship offers given. If and when that happens, we'll have a full analysis of it.
* Carlton Davis, a 3-star WR prospect from Miami Norland, told Scout a few days ago that he remains solidly committed to Ohio State, despite taking an official visit to Miami a couple weekends ago. While the Canes are still trying, he's expected to sign with the Buckeyes.
* The Hurricanes began recruiting two local prospects late in the season and now there's a good chance they will both end up in this year's class. They're both currently committed to FIU. Miami Central RB Anthony Jones had a tremendous season for them. At 6-feet and 185 pounds, he could end up at either RB or WR in college. Miami Edison DB Robert Knowles, who could play either corner or safety, is another one. At 6-foot-1 and 180 pounds, he's fresh off an excellent senior season. We'll continue keeping a close eye on these two local sleepers.