Coach Larry Coker
"The quarterbacks looked okay this week. It's tough because they have a lot of pressure put on them by the defensive line. They are throwing a lot of stuff at them. From that standpoint I am pleased how they handled it. They have made some plays and some plays they have not had an opportunity to make plays because we are playing good defense."
"On Saturday for the scrimmage we will start Brock Berlin with the first unit. Kyle Wright and Derrick Crudup will split time with the second unit. Then we will get Kirby Freeman in with the third unit. We will have a running clock and try to get some of the other guys in with the first unit."
"I think the spring game is beneficial for the newer players because they get to play in the Orange Bowl. Hopefully we have another nice day like today and we are expecting a nice crowd. Just to have more of a dress rehearsal compared to a normal practice."
"I would like to see the offense and defense both win, but if it's one or the other, I would rather see the defense win. If you look back through history, they have had some great, great teams here, and some great offensive teams. Normally in the spring the offense is a little ahead, so if I had to choose one way or the other, I would say I would want the defense to be a little ahead."
* Andrew Bain suffered an undisclosed leg injury. His status is unknown at this time, but information will be released soon.
* On his 22nd birthday Derrick Crudup tweaked his leg during a rollout drill. It does not appear to be serious. Crudup is still holding onto the backup role at quarterback.
* The second unit of defensive backs struggled a bit today, but the first unit did well. Antrel Rolle had another solid day and the first unit is starting to gel together with Greg Threat at strong safety, Brandon Meriweather at free safety, and cornerback Kelly Jennings.
* Jon Beason is picking up on the middle linebacker position better and better each day. He is improving his reads and pass coverage ability. Learning the middle linebacker position can be tough especially for a converted safety, however the coaching staff would not have put them in a position that he could not succeed at.
* The defensive line has been dominating the line of scrimmage for the majority of the spring. This week the offensive line has been bouncing back and has had a solid performance. A performance they hope to continue on Saturday.
Spring game scoring:
First Down……1 point
Field Goal…….3 points
Extra Point……1 point
3 and out…….1 point
Defensive TD…10 points
Out for spring practices
RB Frank Gore – ACL
CB Glenn Sharpe – ACL
DE Thomas Carroll – Shoulder
WR Ryan Moore – Recovering from shoulder surgery
TE Brandon Sebald – Separated Shoulder
WR Roscoe Parrish – Knee
CB Terrell Walden – ACL
* Future Hurricanes Charlie Jones and James Bryant
* There were a good number of family members at practice today and are in town this weekend for the spring game.
Friday…April 16…3:30 PM…Greentree Practice Fields (last spring practice at Greentree)
Christopher Stock is a Staff Columnist for CanesTime and can be contacted by emailing him at email@example.com.
Spring Practice Report - 4/15/04
Canes Time Top Stories
Canes Off to Fast Start Under RichtMiami Hurricanes football is 3-0 heading into a conference matchup against Georgia Tech. Find out what else is going right for the Canes under new head coach, Mark Richt courtesy…
Canes TimeYesterday at 3:41 PM
Wednesday Q&A with Manny DIazRead on to see everything defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was saying following Wednesday's practice.
Canes TimeYesterday at 12:46 PM
Richt Talks About Keys to Beating GTRead on to see everything Mark Richt was saying following Wednesday's practice.
Canes TimeYesterday at 12:32 PM
Tuesday Q&A with Thomas BrownRead on to see everything offensive coordinator Thomas Brown was saying Tuesday morning as the Canes prepare to take on Georgia Tech Saturday.
Canes TimeTuesday at 11:28 AM