HEAD COACH LARRY COKER
"This was a situational practice for us. It was the last practice for us before the holiday. We want to wish everyone a happy holiday. They will be going home now and we will meet up on December 26 in Atlanta. We will have a light practice that afternoon once we get checked into the hotel. We are going to enjoy the bowl week, but we are also going to work hard."
"The team is not going up together to Atlanta, which is something we have done since I have been the coach here. It has worked out pretty well for us. Rather than have kids go to Dallas or Jacksonville then fly back to Miami, then to the bowl game."
"You are obviously concerned about the ones driving, but guys drive around Miami every day. There are always concerns. Jeremy Shockey was stuck in Oklahoma because of ice before the Sugar Bowl. He missed the first day. There are always things that happen."
"We want the kids to check in at noon on Sunday unless there are special circumstances that have been made.
* These players did not practice due to injury: QB Kyle Wright, RB Tyrone Moss, RB Andrew Johnson, FB Talib Humphrey, TE Kevin Everett, TE Greg Olsen, OL Anthony Wollschlager, LB Roger McIntosh
* FB Talib Humphrey has a cast on his left ankle and was hobbling around. With the injury Quadtrine Hill would step up his role as a fullback--a player who Don Soldinger thinks would benefit by staying at one position.
* RB Andrew Johnson will have an MRI on his knee in the upcoming days and is declared out for the bowl game. RB Charlie Jones would be the number two tailback if Tyrone Moss would be unable to play because of his knee injury. Hill is also a possibility.
* DT Santonio Thomas has practiced well according to Coker after recovering from a knee injury. He returned to action last game against Virginia Tech on a limited basis.
* LB Tavares Gooden is still bothered by a shoulder injury, but is working himself back into the lineup. He is hopeful he can be a big contributor against Florida.
* LB Roger McIntosh did not practice today and Coker discussed the status of McIntosh., "hopefully he will be doing better next week when we are in Atlanta."
* OL Alex Pou has been practicing as the second-string center behind Joel Rodriguez because of the loss to Anthony Wollschlager. This is a position Pou could fit in nicely at for the spring and 2005 season.
* Florida uses a lot of four wide receiver sets, which would force Miami to play a lot of nickel and dime formations--formations that help with the linebacker situation.
* The team worked on onside kicks at the end of practice and have worked on a few special plays this week.
Christopher Stock is a Staff Writer for CanesTime and can be contacted by emailing him at firstname.lastname@example.org
Practice Notes: 12/22
Canes Time Top Stories
Wednesday Q&A with Manny DIazRead on to see everything defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was saying following Wednesday's practice.
Canes Time12:46 PM
Richt Talks About Keys to Beating GTRead on to see everything Mark Richt was saying following Wednesday's practice.
Canes Time12:32 PM
Tuesday Q&A with Thomas BrownRead on to see everything offensive coordinator Thomas Brown was saying Tuesday morning as the Canes prepare to take on Georgia Tech Saturday.
Canes TimeYesterday at 11:28 AM
Kaaya Talks Ga TechRead on to see what quarterback Brad Kaaya was saying on Tuesday afternoon as he prepares to take on Georgia Tech Saturday.
Canes TimeYesterday at 11:18 AM