UM Tames Tigers, 83-77

The Hurricanes won a critical ACC game Saturday, beating Clemson 83-77. Miami was led by guard Robert Hite's 24 points. The game was eerily similar to the first game played between the two teams in Miami on January 26.

Clemson once again outplayed Miami in the first half, but Miami did enough to keep the Tiger's halftime lead at four—just as they did in the first meeting.

Guard Anthony Harris scored all of his 15 points in the second half—just as he did in the first game.

Robert Hite led all scorers and Guillermo Diaz was largely held in check—just like the first game.

Miami showed poise down the stretch to win a close game—just like the first game.

Forward Anthony King chipped in with 14 points and pulled down 12 rebounds, seven offensive rebounds. Diaz scored a tough 14 points, he did not make his first bucket from the field until there was 14:05 left in the second half.

Miami began the game rusty, starting the game 1-for-6 from the field in the first four minutes of the game, after not playing a game in a week. The Hurricanes kept the game close in the first 10 minutes of the half, losing 17-21.

During this stretch, Miami went to a 2-3 zone, allowing for Clemson guard Cheyenne Moore to score 12 points, all on three pointers.

Miami was noticeably frustrated by Clemson's relentless defense. Unable to penetrate the land with any effectiveness, the Hurricanes settled for the outside shot. The Tigers pulled away with 11:12 left in the half and went on a methodical 13-2 run that lasted six minutes, giving them a 32-19 lead—the largest of the half.

Miami closed the half on a 10-2 spurt of its own, cutting Clemson's lead to four, 31-35. Robert Hite and freshman forward, Raymond Hicks led the Hurricanes with seven points, while playing just four minutes in the half. King added six points and 5 rebounds.

Clemson was led by Moore with 12 points and center Sharrod Ford, six points and six rebounds. Clemson shot 7-for-15 on three-pointers and had 17 second chance points in the half.

At the start of the second half, Miami immediately cut Clemson's lead to one, 34-35, resulting in a 30-second timeout by Clemson. Whatever was said during the timeout certainly caught Clemson's attention, as they built an eight point lead 48-40.

After battling for some tough points, the Hurricanes answered with a 9-0 spurt, taking a 54-50 lead. The teams battled hard for the next 11:35, with three points being the largest lead of any team. The Hurricanes did not take control until 1:50 left in the game as Hite hit a three-pointer to push Miami's lead to six, 77-71.

Clemson was led by Shawan Robinson's 21 points and Ford's 16 point, eight rebound, and three blocks performance.

Miami's next game is against Wake Forest on Tuesday at 7:00. The game will be televised on Sun Sports.

Canes Time Top Stories