Mostly Cloudy, 72 degrees, 78% humidity
HEAD COACH LARRY COKER
"It was a good first day, just like we had hoped. I like the way the guys ran around. They showed a lot of speed. We have a lot of work to do, obviously, but it was certinaly.a good start. Offensively, we were pretty efficient. We ran the ball pretty well, and threw and caught the ball pretty well when we had the opportunities."
"I look for us to at least be able to run an offense on the first day. We have some guys that missed today because of classes and that will happen throughout the spring. I also look for what type of attitude guys have."
* Kyle Wright and Kirby Freeman did "pretty well" today according to Larry Coker and believes the talent is there. "I'm not concerned about the position because of a lack of talent, I am concerned because of a lack of experience," Coker said.
* Wright and Freeman will alternate days in which they work with the first unit, Freeman will be with the first unit tomorrow.
* 1st Unit Offensive Line:
LT Tyrone Byrd LG Tyler McMeans C Alex Pou RG Derrick Morse RT Rashad Butler
* 2nd Unit Offensive Line:
LT Chris Rutledge LG Andrew Bain C John Rochford RG Jonathan St. Pierre RT Cyrim Wimbs
* OG Tony Tella and C Anthony Wollschlager were limited in their reptitions and OT Eric Winston was in his practice jersey, but did not do any drills.
* FB Quadtrine Hill and WR Darnell Jenkins missed today's practice because of classes.
* FB James Bryant was the number one fullback in today's practice with Hill gone.
* RB Derron Thomas showed very good speed in the open field and ran his passing routes with a good pace.
* The defensive line showed good intensity on their work with the sleds.
* After practice OL Jonathan St. Pierre asked a member of the defensive line who number 91 was. Number 91 is new Hurricane defensive tackle Joe Joseph. Joseph has good size and impressed at least one person with his play in his first official practice.
* CB Marcus Maxey practiced with the first unit defense today with CB Kelly Jennings. Maxey recorded an interception during one-on-one drills when going up against Ryan Moore and has shown more maturity as a player in the off-season.
* WR Lance Leggett showed his speed in today's practice in various drills, but it was his improved strength against cornerbacks that will make him a unique player.
* WR Akieem Jolla caught a deep pass from Kyle Wright in one-on-one drills against Rashaun Jones.
Christopher Stock is a Senior Writer & Assistant Editor for CanesTime and can be contacted by emailing him at firstname.lastname@example.org
Spring Practice Report: 3/8
Canes Time Top Stories
Miami Junior Day UpdatesIt was Junior Day at the University of Miami and Mark Richt's Hurricanes received visits from several of the top prospects throughout south Florida. Read on for several updates on…
Canes TimeYesterday at 7:00 PM
UM Announces Major Gift From Jon BeasonCORAL GABLES, Fla. – Jon Beason, former University of Miami football student-athlete and three-time NFL Pro Bowl linebacker, has made a $250,000 gift towards the Carol Soffer…
Canes TimeThursday at 12:31 PM
Nine Former Canes Invited to NFL CombineCORAL GABLES, Fla. – Nine former University of Miami football players have accepted invitations to the 2017 NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. This year’s scouting combine will…
Canes TimeThursday at 10:45 AM
Mike's Take: New Miami DL commitmentThe Hurricanes landed a commitment from one of the top defensive tackle prospects in south Florida yesterday. Read on for a complete analysis of it from CanesTime's Mike Bakas.
Canes TimeWednesday at 10:57 AM
Canes Offer Pair of Local DLThe Hurricanes offered two of the top defensive line prospects in south Florida Monday. Read on to learn all about both players.
Canes TimeMonday at 12:14 PM