Rain, 55 degrees, 95% humidity
HEAD COACH LARRY COKER
"We have had two good days now and guys are running around having fun. Tomorrow we will be in pads and we will be able to see more of what we are about. The attitude is great and we have a lot of guys back particularly on defense.
"I like what I see from the quarterbacks. We have talent there--we just have to get them a lot of work. I don't know that there is a big difference between their styles. They both have quick feet, but right now Kyle Wright is a little bit more poised in the pocket. He has been reered more than way because he is a California guy. Kirby Freeman was more of a runner in Texas."
"Leadership plays a big role in the position and the guy who takes the team down to score will probably be our guy. I think a lot of that comes naturally with what type of person you are."
* QB Kirby Freeman worked out with the first unit today and struggled. He was a bit erratic in his throws when going up against the defense.
* QB Kyle Wright looked very well today hitting his reads and making a number of completions to wide receivers.
* WR Ryan Moore looked great today making very athletic catches. He caught a ball where he had to jump extremely high in the air and came down with the reception. Moore's ability to go get balls in the air is something only he can bring to the Miami wide receiver unit.
* WR Lance Leggett bounced back from a tough day yesterday and caught two very nice deep passes. He caught one over his shoulder for a long gain before going out of bounds and caught a pass in which he ran an out pattern then he proceeded to run by the safety, Lovon Ponder, in coverage.
* 1st Unit Offensive Line: LT Tyrone Byrd LG Tyler McMeans C Alex Pou RG Derrick Morse RT Rashad Butler
* WR Darnell Jenkins did not practice again today and is taking care of his academics. Coker is hopeful he will be able to practice tomorrow, but did note that he has not been suspended.
* LB Tavares Gooden showed off his athletic ability with an interception on a pass by Freeman while covering TE Buck Ortega in the flat.
* SS Greg Threat, who has been on the first unit the first two days despite the pre-spring depth chart release, also made a very nice interception today on a deep pass in the seam of the secondary. Threat looked over his shoulder and made the nice interception, then proceeded to run it back weaving through traffic for a nice return.
* LB Willie Williams got his defensive teammates excited with a pass breakup as he had to cover ground in a short distance.
* TE Greg Olsen practiced today with a cast on and caught a pass going up against the defense.
* WR Sinorice Moss has been limited the last two days with a light strained quadricep.
* FS Brandon Meriweather, DT Teraz McCray, DT Kareem Brown, and DT Orien Harris left practice early for class.
* 2003 Hurricane D.J. Williams was at practice along with 2004 Hurricanes Frank Gore and Tanard Davis.
Christopher Stock is a Senior Writer & Assistant Editor for CanesTime and can be contacted by emailing him at firstname.lastname@example.org
Spring Practice Report: 3/9
Canes Time Top Stories
Wright to Leave Miami Football ProgramCORAL GABLES, Fla. – The University of Miami announced Monday that defensive back Cedrick Wright is no longer a member of the football program.
Canes TimeMonday at 9:05 PM
Miami Junior Day UpdatesIt was Junior Day at the University of Miami and Mark Richt's Hurricanes received visits from several of the top prospects throughout south Florida. Read on for several updates on…
UM Announces Major Gift From Jon BeasonCORAL GABLES, Fla. – Jon Beason, former University of Miami football student-athlete and three-time NFL Pro Bowl linebacker, has made a $250,000 gift towards the Carol Soffer…
Nine Former Canes Invited to NFL CombineCORAL GABLES, Fla. – Nine former University of Miami football players have accepted invitations to the 2017 NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. This year’s scouting combine will…
Mike's Take: New Miami DL commitmentThe Hurricanes landed a commitment from one of the top defensive tackle prospects in south Florida yesterday. Read on for a complete analysis of it from CanesTime's Mike Bakas.