Mostly Cloudy, 87 degrees, 82% humidity
HEAD COACH LARRY COKER
"Defensively we are really moving around pretty good. Guys are playing hard and making plays. Offensively we looked like we had not practiced in a week, we were rusty and struggled with pass protection. We did some good things with the running game and we had some good players makes some good plays--Ryan Moore made some plays."
"We have to have some consistency on offense and we have to protect our passer. When our quarterbacks are protected they complete passes."
"The defensive line put a lot of pressure on the offense today. They are playing hard and playing well--they are playing with a lot of energy. The defensive is really putting a lot of pressure on the offense, which is good--we need that."
* NFL stars were all over the place today. Edgerrin James, Willis McGahee, Santana Moss, Reggie Wayne, Bubba Franks, and 2005 future first-round draft pick Antrel Rolle.
* DT Orien Harris had minor shoulder surgery and will miss the remainder of spring practices. This was the same shoulder he has been dealing with since last season and the team decided to take care of it now as opposed to waiting until after spring practices. He will be back for summer workouts and is expected to be 100% for the fall. He was at practice today in a sling cheering on his teammates.
* WR Darnell Jenkins returned to practice after missing the first week due to dealing with academics. He is expected to be back for good barring any setbacks. Today he did not do a good job catching the ball and had a number of drops.
* WR Sinorice Moss is still dealing with a pulled muscle before spring break. He did not practice much today and will be guarded the rest of the week. The team expects to have Moss back for the final two weeks of spring practice beginning March 28.
* LB Roger McIntosh will probably be held out of full-speed contact drills the rest of the spring and has not done any this spring. He is dealing with a shoulder injury and the team does not want to rush him back. McIntosh is expected to be back for summer workouts.
* RB Tyrone Moss has stated this spring he played the 2004 season with a broken bone in his shoulder, which affected him in his ability in the power running game. He is another player that will not participate in contact drills this spring.
* CB Glenn Sharpe recorded an interception today while guarding walk-on WR Rasheed Ali on a fly pattern. QB Kirby Freeman threw it deep hoping Ali would track it down along the sideline, but Sharpe maintained his speed and position to come up with the interception.
* WR Akieem Jolla had two of the best receptions of the day today. He burned CB Kelly Jennings on a deep fly pattern during one-on-one drills and then came back with another deep fly route beating CB Devin Hester on seven-on-seven drills. Jolla has great long speed for these routes and is working on becoming a more consistent every-down receiver.
* The first unit defensive line dominated practice today: LE Bryan Pata LT Kareem Brown RT Baraka Atkins RE Thomas Carroll. They did well during team drills against the offensive line and blew up the run game. Brown was the best surprise of the group as he is looking to become a formidable option in the mix at tackle.
* DT Teraz McCray had a huge hit during the Oklahoma drill at the end of practice. McCray beat Derrick Morse and popped Charlie Jones at the line of scrimmage.
* LB Jon Beason drew the biggest praise from his teammates during the Oklahoma drill as they cheered him on against James Bryant. Beason beat Bryant and his defensive teammates began to holler out in approval.
* The quarterback situation was at a standstill today with the lack of protection by the offensive line. Kyle Wright did look more poised than Kirby Freeman, but neither were able to get into any type of rhythm.
Christopher Stock is a Senior Writer & Assistant Editor for CanesTime and can be contacted by emailing him at email@example.com
Spring Practice Report: 3/22
Canes Time Top Stories
WALTON ONE TO WATCH FOR DOAK WALKER AWARDCORAL GABLES, Fla. – Junior Mark Walton was named to the watch list for the 2017 Doak Walker Award honoring the nation's top running back, the PwC SMU Athletic Forum announced…
Canes TimeYesterday at 12:55 PM
RICHT NAMED TO WATCH LIST FOR DODD TROPHYATLANTA – University of Miami second-year head coach Mark Richt was among those coaches named to the preseason watch list for the 2017 Bobby Dodd Trophy, officials from the Bobby…
Canes TimeWednesday at 1:35 PM
Jackson Named To The Wuerffel Watch ListCORAL GABLES, Fla. – University of Miami defensive lineman Demetrius Jackson is one of 108 student-athletes tabbed to the Watch List for the 2017 Wuerffel Trophy.
Canes TimeTuesday at 1:34 PM
CANES TABBED AS PRESEASON FAVORITE IN COASTALGREENSBORO, N.C. – The University of Miami is the preseason favorite to claim the Atlantic Coast Conference Coastal Division championship, according to a poll of 167 media members…
Canes TimeMonday at 1:33 PM