Sunny, 81 degrees, 35% humidity
HEAD COACH LARRY COKER
"Practice was pretty good today. Defensively we are flying around pretty good. We have to get a lot better on offense in pass protection. We are running the ball pretty decently with some consistency. Like I told our guys, we are playing for jobs."
"We are doing more of the Oklahoma drill this spring because of the video we can get on it. It is really good to see guys coming off with their pads low and hands inside. We actually borrowed it from Minnesota--they do a great job running the football. It is something that we wanted to incorporate into our practices. It is one of those drills that you probably won't get injured in since it is one-on-one. It really stresses technique and toughness."
* The linebackers have had some very good days this spring, but last Thursday's scrimmage was not one of them. They are concentrating on making plays this year and not just plugging gaps. Today they did well at making plays.
* LB Tavares Gooden and LB Jon Beason had two big hits in the inside run drill. Gooden is playing with more confidence each day.
* OL Tyrone Byrd worked out at center today with his snapping. He did not participate in full contact drills at center and remained at left tackle.
* OL Chris Rutledge sprained his ankle yesterday and did not practice today. He was in a walking boot. Rutledge was the second team left tackle.
* CB Devin Hester and WR Darnell Jenkins were late to practice because of class.
* CB Rashaun Jones tweaked his hamstring today for the first time while covering a reciever during one-on-one drills. Jones watched from the sideline after the injury and will get it looked at further to determine how it will be handled.
* LB Glenn Cook is still going through tests to determine the cause of a seizure he suffered. Cook is being held out of practices and will likely miss the remainder of spring practices.
* RB Derron Thomas continues to impress on the practice field. Coker has been impressed with the way Thomas has stepped up this spring. Thomas was the only one of the three backs last year to redshirt, but has made up the gap this spring. He has great speed and hits the hole hard--something that will help him get on the field this fall.
* LB Romeo Davis also has a hamstring problem and did not practice today.
* K Jon Peattie has had a good spring kicking the ball. He appears to be back to his 2003 form, in which he made 22-of-28 field goals. P Brian Monroe has been the holder for Peattie and OL John Rochford appears to have a lock on the long snapper position.
* TE Buck Ortega is doing a nice job of catching the ball specifically during seven-on-seven drills. With TE Greg Olsen struggling to catch the ball because of his cast, Ortega has been the main target for the quarterbacks.
* LB Willie Williams is doing a good job of playing downhill this spring. He is getting after the run and making tackles, but is still learning where he needs to be against the pass. Right now Williams is playing weakside linebacker--a position he dominated at in high school.
* CB Glenn Sharpe pulled a muscle unrelated to his knee injury. He did not practice and is timetable to return is unknown at this point.
* Former Hurricanes Chris Myers and Joel Rodriguez were in attendance.
Thursday, March 31, 3:00 pm
Christopher Stock is a Senior Writer & Assistant Editor at CanesTime and can be contacted by emailing him at email@example.com
Practice Report: 3/29
Canes Time Top Stories
Mike's Take: Analysis of NFL 1st Round PicksRead on for some of my thoughts on the first round of the NFL Draft last night, and how it relates to Miami's recruiting efforts.
Canes Time5:06 PM
Commit Analysis: 4-star CB Gilbert FriersonGilbert Frierson was the first commitment in the 2018 class after Mark Richt got the job here. Lets take a closer look at what it meas for the Canes.
Canes Time8:08 AM
Njoku Selected in First Round of NFL DraftCORAL GABLES, Fla. – Miami Hurricanes tight end David Njoku was selected with the 29th overall pick by the Cleveland Browns Thursday night in the first round of the 2017 NFL Draft.
Canes Time8:00 AM
Canes Offer California RBOne of the top running back prospects in the state of California says the Hurricanes recently offered him. Read on to learn about it.
Canes TimeYesterday at 12:23 PM