Sunny, 82 degrees, 60% humidity
HEAD COACH LARRY COKER
"The linebackers did a much better job today than they did last Thursday at the scrimmage. All of the guys did a great job of attacking the ball."
"Offensively we had some big plays and obviously Ryan Moore needs to step up this year. He is capable of making big plays. We also had some nice runs today. We are not consistent and we have to be more consistent."
* Today was filled with big time plays on both sides of the ball. There has not been a practice this spring with as many big plays. It will be interesting to see how the team responds tomorrow.
* LB Leon Williams made an outstanding interception today during seven-on-sevens. He dropped back into zone coverage, but immediately covered WR Sinorice Moss as Moss came into his area. Williams dove in front of the low pass to record the interception. It was only a matter of time before Williams made a big play this spring. He has improved in his pass coverage skills and is showing more versatility covering sideline-to-sideline.
* RB Derron Thomas had the best run of the spring today. George Timmons previously held this top spot, but not anymore. Thomas busted a long run when he took the handoff inside and sprung loose off a linebacker. He didn't stop there as he blew by the safeties on his way to an 80-yard touchdown run. James Bryant, who has been playing with a lot of fire this spring, sprung Thomas for the big gain. It is only a matter of time in which Thomas gets more reps than Charlie Jones at tailback.
* WR Akieem Jolla caught a 60-yard pass from Freeman as he beat Kelly Jennings downfield. Unfortunately for Jolla he fumbled at the end of the play as Lovon Ponder and Jennings converged on the play. Ponder recovered the fumble and raced upfield for a return.
* FS Anthony Reddick made a great defensive play today when he forced a fumble on Charlie Jones, then recovered the fumble. He hit Jones behind the line before he caused the fumle. Reddick has been looking more comfortable against the pass.
* SS Greg Threat is making tackles and making them with a force. Threat has been holding up the majority of the spring against his teammates, but is not afraid to give them a good pop when needed. Today Threat caused Quadtrine Hill to take a look at his helmet after a big hit.
* WR Sinorice Moss made a great diving catch in the middle of the field today. Moss is back on the practice field this week after dealing with a quadricep injury.
* DT Baraka Atkins caused a fumble before Wright was about to throw the ball. Atkins came heavy all day long constantly in the backfield.
* Coker is not in any rush to name the starter at quarterback, but did say Kyle Wright is "probably a little bit ahead" and also noted that he understands the offense a little better.
* QB Kirby Freeman has showed off his speed this spring when the pocket collapses. When watching Freeman run it is good that he uses his running ability as a last resort and not a first instinct. He does well waiting for his progressions and then when the pressure comes he will take off for positive yards.
* DE Calais Campbell earned praise from Coker today after practice as Calais "did the things he was coached to do." Campbell played on the first team at left defensive today at the end of practice during 11-on-11.
* CB Marcus Maxey would start opposite of Kelly Jennings if the team played today. Maxey has been doing well in covering his man, but at times receivers will establish inside position on him. At 6-foot-3 and possessing great athletic skills, he could be a tough matchup for teams this fall.
* OL Andrew Bain was moved from left guard to left tackle with the injury to Chris Rutledge. With Bain moving to left tackle, John Rochford stepped up to left guard.
* The linebackers are as follows: (weakside to strongside)
Injured: McIntosh, Cook, Davis
* The cornerback position was depleted today with only three healthy corners participating--Maxey, Hester, and Jennings. Glenn Sharpe, Rashaun Jones, and Carlos Armour are dealing with injuries.
* DE Bryan Pata did not practice today dealing with personal issues.
Friday, April 1, 3:00 pm
Christopher Stock is a Senior Writer & Assistant Editor at CanesTime and can be contacted by emailing him at firstname.lastname@example.org
Practice Report: 3/31
Canes Time Top Stories
Tuesday Q&A with Thomas BrownRead on to see everything offensive coordinator Thomas Brown was saying Tuesday morning as the Canes prepare to take on Georgia Tech Saturday.
Canes Time11:28 AM
Several Cane Offensive Players Talk GTRead on to see what several Hurricane offensive players are saying about this week's game against Georgia Tech.
Canes Time11:22 AM
Kaaya Talks Ga TechRead on to see what quarterback Brad Kaaya was saying on Tuesday afternoon as he prepares to take on Georgia Tech Saturday.
Canes Time11:18 AM
Tuesday Q&A with Mark RichtRead on to see everything head coach Mark Richt was saying on Tuesday morning as his team prepares to take on Georgia Tech Saturday.
Canes Time11:15 AM