Sunny, 80 degrees, 70% humidity
HEAD COACH LARRY COKER
"We got some good things done today. I thought the guys practiced pretty fast--I liked that. As you can see, our skill players are pretty good. We just have to continue to get our guys healty and have continuity on the offensive line."
"Defensively, we can be pretty dominant. I think we are running around making a lot of plays."
* FS Anthony Reddick had a big day today with two interceptions and a sack during the scrimmage. Reddick has showed great ability on the field throughout spring practice, but today he was phenomenal. Coker believes Reddick is a "special player and is an awfully talented player who has been making plays."
* WR Khalil Jones had a great day of practice today. He started off on the right foot with a touchdown catch during redzone offense. He followed that with a 50-yard catch during the one-on-one drill. But his best play came during 11-on-11's at the end of practice. Jones ran a deep post blowing by the safeties and Kirby Freeman threw a great ball as Jones ran under it and ran towards the endzone for a touchdown.
* SS Greg Threat has been improving on his pass coverage skills and came up with an interception today. Threat has had some close calls this week in practice, but did not come up with the interception. Today he intercepted a ball that went through a receiver's hands and he used quick reflexes to come up with the ball.
* OL Tyrone Byrd and RB Derron Thomas got some work with the first unit today. Byrd has been playing center lately and doing a fine job. He is very quick for his size and is improving his technique each day. Coach Kehoe likes the way Byrd practices and he has been rewarded for that. Thomas has been having an outstanding spring and it was only a matter of time before he gets substantial work with the first unit.
* LB Tavares Gooden continues to practice with a lot of enthusiasm. Gooden leads the chant at the beginning of practice during stretches. During the spring he has been doing a good job of attacking the run specifically in today's practice he was avoiding blockers very well. Gooden has been playing strongside linebacker and is one of two linebackers in the nickel formation on the first unit.
* TE Greg Olsen finally had the day he was looking for. Last spring Olsen made a number of catches solidifying his role for the 2004 season. This spring he has been bothered by a wrist injury that requires him to wear a cast when he plays. Today he made two 30-yard plays down the middle of the field--something he did a lot last season.
* WR Ryan Moore caught two touchdown passes during redzone offense from Kyle Wright. Moore used his strength and size to knock Brandon Meriweather off the ball on an inside slant route. He caught his other touchdown in the back of the endzone when Reddick lost him in traffic.
* CB Kelly Jennings is playing the nickel slot when the team brings in three cornerbacks. When Brandon Meriweather enters the play, Jennings moves to the corner spot. Jennings has not been known for great ball skills in his career, but has done well with it this spring. Yesterday he made an interception and today he looked to be in better position to make plays on the ball.
* DE Rhyan Anderson had a walking boot on today and did not practice. Anderson said he'll be fine and it is nothing to worry about.
Saturday, April 2, 9:50 am at Cobb Stadium
Christopher Stock is a Senior Writer & Assistant Editor for CanesTime and can be contacted by emailing him at email@example.com
Practice Report: 4/1
Canes Time Top Stories
Players Talk Spring Practice: March 23Read on to see what some of Miami's players were saying following Thursday's practice.
Canes TimeThursday at 1:00 PM
Thomas Brown Q&A: March 23Read on to see what offensive coordinator Thomas Brown was saying following Thursday's practice.
Canes TimeThursday at 12:56 PM
Manny Diaz Q&A: March 23Read on to see what defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was saying following Thursday's practice.
Canes TimeThursday at 12:55 PM
Spring Football Report: March 23CORAL GABLES, Fla. – Spring football is about growth and development as a player and a team, and Thursday’s session illustrated just how far the Miami Hurricanes have come in just…
Canes TimeThursday at 12:53 PM
Spring Football Day 1: Mark Richt TalksSpring football started today at Miami. Read on to see everything Mark Richt was saying about it.
Canes TimeTuesday at 1:59 PM