HEAD COACH LARRY COKER
"Guys really ran around and had some fun today. I was really excited with how the guys played. The skill players stepped it up and it was good to see Ryan Moore step it up like he has all spring. I told our players to have a great day tomorrow at the spring game."
"In terms of looking at starting positions I would like to look at the center position, the quarterbacks, and overall I would like to see our guys be efficient. We wont have some players practice tomorrow who are hurt, which will hurt our efficiency. I would like for us to step up and be better than we were a week ago."
"When we have a starter at quarterback we will name a starter. They will both play tomorrow equally with the one's and two's. We will try to make sure they get equal plays. I want to be able to see them both equally. I would like to see them have the opportunity to throw the ball downfield some."
* Former head coach Jimmy Johnson (1984-88) was in attendance. During his five years at Miami he compiled a 52-9 record and won the national championship in 1987. Although Johnson did not address the team it is a great motivator for the players to see former coaches and players in attendance.
* Coker has indicated Kyle Wright has been ahead of Kirby Freeman this spring and did indicate that there is not an opportunity for Freeman to do "anything drastic" tomorrow to make up the difference since spring practices are nearly over. He added that he likes what he sees from both, but it sounds like a clear indicator if the game was today Wright would be the starter.
* WR Sinorice Moss had another solid day particularly in one-on-one situations. He is progressing very well this spring and is becoming a viable number two option behind Ryan Moore. There is not a cornerback on the team that can stay with Moss consistently and he is great adapting to a variety of catches.
* RB Charlie Jones has been picking it up after a rough last week. He showed good strength up the middle and blew by the linebackers during inside run drills. On the run he went hard through the hole on the left side for a big gain as he ran by the linebackers.
* The first unit on the offensive line was as follows: LT Rashad Butler LG Tyler McMeans C Tyrone Byrd RG Andrew Bain RT Cyrim Wimbs
* TE Greg Olsen had a good day today after getting off on the right start with a short touchdown reception during redzone offense. His biggest play of the day came during 11-on-11's. He ran along the sideline and Wright found him over the top and Olsen raced down the sideline for a long gain.
* LB Tavares Gooden has had two straight productive spring practice sessions. Last year he came onto the scene in the spring and he is making plays again this spring. Today he was in on a number of tackles and shows very good attacking abilities. Last year he finished third on the team in tackles with 83.
* DE Bryan Pata is poised for a breakout season in 2005. Today he was all over the place and in on the quarterback a number of times. One on particular play he rushed from his natural left end spot and came around the outside knocking the ball out of the quarterback's hand. If healthy, Pata can be a dominant player for Miami.
* LB Willie Williams has been playing weakside linebacker on the second-team with Romeo Davis in the middle. Williams hurt his shoulder today, but came back in not losing a beat. He has been standing up running backs all spring and today he did an outstanding job of being in the right place.
FINAL SPRING PRACTICE
Saturday, April 9, 12:00 at Lockhart Stadium
Christopher Stock is a Senior Writer & Assistant Editor for CanesTime and can be contacted by emailing him at email@example.com
Practice Report: 4/8
Canes Time Top Stories
Lead Gift for Indoor Facility AnnouncedCORAL GABLES, Fla. – The University of Miami announced today the largest donation in the history of the Department of Athletics as the lead gift for a state-of-the-art football…
Canes TimeFriday at 8:00 PM
Miami's New 'Legend Of The U' UniformsThe University of Miami unveiled new uniforms for the the football program that resemble the team's looks from the 1980s and 1990s.
Canes TimeTuesday at 7:44 PM
UM Unveils New “Legend of the U” UniformsCORAL GABLES, Fla. -- The University of Miami and adidas today unveiled the Hurricanes' new ‘Legend of the U’ Primeknit football uniforms, which will make their debut on Oct. 8…
Mike's Analysis: App State GameMiami improved to 3-0 with a 45-10 win over App State yesterday. Read on for a full game analysis from CanesTime's Mike Bakas.
ACC School Presents First Offer to DunmoreFORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. --- Syracuse was the initial school to step up to the plate and take a chance on John Dunmore, a 6-foot-3, 170-pound pass catcher out of the 2019 class.
Scout FootballFriday at 12:33 PM