"The effort was good, but again we are still making too many mentals. We are working hard and guys are doing a good job. We just have to keep pressing on. I think that is going to be a thing for us."
"I am extremely pleased with both quarterbacks. They are certainly as good as I thought they would be."
"The main thing we have to do between now and the game is get these guys healthy and on the field. I like what I see and I like our attitude. Position by position, I think we can be good in a lot of areas. We have to make sure we are healthy and hungry."
· WR Ryan Moore is the guy expected to be the difference maker at wide receiver for the team this year. A number of receivers return, but it is Moore who possess the greatest threat to opposing secondaries because of his explosiveness as a 6-foot-3 receiver.
· Coker mentioned that if freshmen are on the two-deep within 10 days they will not be redshirted. All three freshman defensive backs are expected to play this season, but no other official word about players have been made.
· There have not been any linebackers jumping off the chart according to Coker. He likes the young linebackers, Spencer Adkins and Darryl Sharpton, and feels they can be very good players in the future. He thinks they will be a good unit, but nobody has wowed him yet.
· According to Kenny Phillips, he leads the team with six interceptions this fall. Roommate and close friend Randy Phillips is second with five.
· TE Buck Ortega caught a touchdown pass from QB Kyle Wright during the redzone drill. Ortega made the catch in the back of the endzone over new first-string MLB Romeo Davis. It was a good play for Ortega who was unable to come down with two big rececptions in the scrimmage on Saturday.
· S Greg Threat recorded an interception today for the defense when he stepped in front of a QB Kirby Freeman pass during the redzone drill. Threat is currently a second-team safety with freshman S Kenny Phillips.
· The first unit offensive line was as follows: LT Winston LG McMeans C Wollschlager RG Bain RT Butler
· OL Derrick Morse will not play in the season opener against Florida State on September 5 due to a shoulder sprain. Morse was in a shoulder harness and although Coker does not believe he will need surgery.
· DE Thomas Carroll did not practice due to an illness. He came in for practice in the morning, received medication, and was sent home.
· DT Antonio Dixon is practicing on a limited basis due to a knee injury he suffered last week. He should be back by the end of the week.
· OL Tony Tella is not expected to return to practice anytime soon with a high ankle sprain. When Coker was asked when he expects him back, he responded, "who knows, we'll see, when he is back, he is back". Tella does not appear to be on his way back anytime soon as he deals with a high ankle sprain he suffered on August 8. Tella has told Kehoe he will be ready to play in the opener.
· LB Roger McIntosh is not practicing due to recovering from an arthroscopic knee surgery to remove a bone chip. He was originally said to come back sometime this week, but it appears very unlikely. There is no certainty that he will be ready for the season opener.
· LB Tavares Gooden did not particpate in contact drills today and is still bothered by a knee injury. He will be worked into practices later this week. He expects to be in the lineup September 5.
· RB Andrew Johnson is practicing, but not participating in any contact drills. He appears to be running well, but is not making any hard cuts. A return this season still remains questionable despite his prediction of playing.
· OL Alex Pou had off-season shoulder surgery and has been held out of contact drills this fall. He expects to be back in 1-2 weeks.
· LB Eric Houston is still bothered by a pulled hamstring although appears to be running well.
· DT Teraz McCray, CB Carlos Armour, and CB Glenn Sharpe are not practicing and are still recovering from ACL injuries.
Tuesday, August 16 at 8:30 a.m.
Practices are now closed to the public.
Christopher Stock is a Senior Writer & Assistant Editor for CanesTime and can be contacted by emailing him at firstname.lastname@example.org