This was the first practice the team was desiginated as scout team players.
"We really needed something like (the weather) to get out in. The guys really had a lot of spunk and energy. I think it's good to get them outdoors, especially with the weather being rough tonight."
· The first offensive line unit was as follows: LT Winston LG McMeans C Wollschlager RG Bain RT Butler
· The second offensive line unit was as follows: LT Rutledge LG Rochford C Pou RG Trump RT Wimbs/Youngblood
· Since the team practice in shells in the rain, there was not heavy hitting going on. At the beginning of practice the team primarily focused on special teams. In the latter part of practice the 1st/2nd team offense went up against the scout team defense and the 1st/2nd team defense went up against the scout team offense.
· CB Marcus Maxey intercepted a pass thrown by walk-on QB Jorge Fernandez and he returned it for a touchdown. It was a relatively easy pick for Maxey, who still owns the starting cornerback position opposite of CB Kelly Jennings.
· OL Alex Pou returned to practice and looked very good in reps. He is currently the second-team center and although he doesn't appear to be in the mix for the starting position against Florida State, he could see himself in that role later on.
· Freshman not on the scout team: Kenny Phillips, Randy Phillips, Bruce Johnson, Darryl Sharpton, DajLeon Farr, A.J. Trump, Reggie Youngblood, and Antonio Dixon.
· LB Spencer Adkins was on the scout team, but is expected to play this season as opposed to being redshirted.
· Other notables on the scout team: WR Terrell Walden, RB George Timmons, and CB/WR Tanard Davis.
· · LB Roger McIntosh and OL Tony Tella were suited up, but did not go through drills. Both are expected to resume practice soon and be ready for the season opener.
· OL Derrick Morse has a fracured shoulder. He is expected to miss 6-8 weeks.
· Other players being held out of practice: Brandon Meriweather, Leon Williams, Andrew Johnson, and Tyrone Byrd.
· DT Teraz McCray, CB Glenn Sharpe, and CB Carlos Armour are not practicing and are still recovering from ACL injuries. All three will miss the 2005 season.
Friday, August 26 at 4:00 p.m.
The practice could be changed or cancelled due to Hurricane Katrina.
Christopher Stock is a Senior Writer & Assistant Editor for CanesTime and can be contacted by emailing him at firstname.lastname@example.org